I am very interested in developing RIAs. So I just wanted to know you opinions of each of them. I have a good foundation of XHTML and CSS, so is AJAX better?

-How compatible are they?
-How well do they handle images and animations?
-How flexible and versatile are they?
-Integration with the web/HTML/XML.
-Learning curve.
-Pros and Cons.
-Advices?

BTW, what's the difference between Jscript and Javascript?

Thanks for your replies.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I am very interested in developing RIAs. So I just wanted to know you opinions of each of them. I have a good foundation of XHTML and CSS, so is AJAX better?

Better than XHTML and CSS or better than better?!
You've titled this thread ajax vs flash so I will presume you mean ajax better than flash or v.v.
This question is far from a standing one, because it compares the same as if you've said "HTML document vs PDF" which one is better.

A completely different class of applications. Same with ajax vs flash.
but from you experience you will know that if certain "plug-ins" are installed you'll be able to preview pdf inside the html document, same goes with flash. If you have flash applications installed you will be able to preview them inside your html, otherwise youll see an empty box reserved for it - or nothing at all.

They don't compare. So if you are talking about WWW, -ajax is "better".

But what is AJAX?

-How compatible are they?

Ajax is extremely compatible compared to flash.
It doesn't require installation. It goes comes as content and is a part of it. In fact, Ajax is nothing but a 'skin' of web technology - flash is not!
AJAX: An external coat of existing plain javascript, html, css and that special object known as XMLHttpRequest. Nothing else.
While Flash is an application the can be plugged into a web browser.

-How well do they handle images and animations?

Flash has some advantages on this matter, but it doesn' count since they don't compare...

-How flexible and versatile are they?

AJAX is both, Flash needs to be installed as a plug-in, while editing its contents, requires a special quite expensive editors to.

-Integration with the web/HTML/XML.

AJAX - IS web/xml/etc it self, - Flash isn't.

-Learning curve.

I wouldn't know about that

-Pros and Cons.

I think I already answered the most of it involving this question.

-Advices?

You want to develop for web without relying on third party commercial software, -use ajax!

BTW, what's the difference between Jscript and Javascript?

The difference between Jscript and Javascript is that they are two completely independent scripting platforms but complementary and they speak the same tongue. The underlying architectures are complete strangers to each other. Though if you order 'spaghetti' they'll bring you spaghetti all right, because they both understand the meaning of that word and spell them exactly the same. but there are few uncommon words they wouldn't understand or wouldn't be able to comply.

Thanks for your replies.

You're welcome -Thanks for asking. :')

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.