Hi, just want to know which software is the best for PHP.
I use PHPeditor and Notepad++
So how about you guys??

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I'm loving Notepad++ with the FTP plugin so I can work on my hosted server within the greatest editor ever.

I use NuSphere PhpED, one of the best programs I have ever used.

Also, shouldn't the title be 'editor' not 'software' :)

I use gVim/vim with a bunch of custom plugins along with VCS which gives me SVN control, taglist which gives me CTRL+Click navigation for classes/functions/etc.

It has a pretty steep learning curve but once you get used to it and actually know how to use it there is no equal in power (holy war ensue.) The opponents of gVim/vim that say it isn't as powerful just don't know how to use it or get frustrated and stop.

I quite like the new Dreamweaver (CS4) with its code hints and auto formatting, I know its not free but I quite like it. You also get a load of widgets such as menus and it can automatically create AJAX scripts for you. I use notepad++ as the editor on my server though as I think its small and quick to load, ideal for changing a couple of lines or adding that semicolon you forgot :P

@Shawn: I felt like I had to check out vim, and I really like it. It is tricky to learn but seems much more efficient than conventional methods. Plus its very "old-school" which I generally like.

I also like dreamweaver but somebody told me its not good

I quite like the new Dreamweaver (CS4) with its code hints and auto formatting, I know its not free but I quite like it. You also get a load of widgets such as menus and it can automatically create AJAX scripts for you. I use notepad++ as the editor on my server though as I think its small and quick to load, ideal for changing a couple of lines or adding that semicolon you forgot :P

vim is pretty old-school since it's command-line only. gVim alleviates a lot of that by adding a pretty smooth GUI along with ability to use GUI-only colorschemes that make it a LOT easier to use (I recommend Wombat, Molokai or Slate)

notepad++
zend studio, although i only prefer it over Eclipse PDT and Aptana because of its integration with PHPUnit.

notepad++ and
DevEditPHP, likewise for control-click of functions and classes, Horrible Learning curve

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.