Hi,

I cannot get the full physcial path of a selected file in Firefox. Code below works fine in IE. Is there other way to get full path in Firefox as well? Thanks

function getPath() {
alert (document.formUpload.file.value);
}
<form name="formUpload" enctype="multipart/form-data">
Filename:<input type="file" name="file" id="file" onChange="getPath();" />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Hi,

I cannot get the full physcial path of a selected file in Firefox. Code below works fine in IE. Is there other way to get full path in Firefox as well? Thanks

function getPath() {
alert (document.formUpload.file.value);
}
<form name="formUpload" enctype="multipart/form-data">
Filename:<input type="file" name="file" id="file" onChange="getPath();" />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>

That is the bad side of free software, it is always hard to find answers, when you stuck nobody takes care of you.

commented: Free Software cares more about the users than proprietary -2
commented: Free software is da shizz man! -1
commented: Try answering the original question instead. -4
commented: "Cares" I suppose you think proprietary vendors "care" for you. -1
commented: Want to keep up this Tit for Tat Bad Reps, I bet that "Featured Poster" Tag has gone straight to your knees where your brains are located -1

That is the bad side of free software, it is always hard to find answers, when you stuck nobody takes care of you.

That is a completely retarded thing to say. Nobody at Microsoft cares about you either.

People at Firefox care more because they realize the privacy implications of sending a full file path to the browser. Firefox and other browsers will only send the file name.

You could try actually posting a useful answer instead of a completely wrong, idiotic one.

commented: Totally agree! +10
commented: I like how you cleverly disguised the answer in your post. No one can figure out where it is! +18

i dont post answer to debate with you.. your answer is not useful at all

Actually, I answered the OP's question. Something you didn't care to do when you felt the compulsion to share that chip on your shoulder.

Actually, I answered the OP's question. Something you didn't care to do when you felt the compulsion to share that chip on your shoulder.

Can you please share your answer publicly once again.

Can you please share your answer publicly once again.

The answer has not been deleted from the thread.

I'm not being able to find it, -can you please repeat the answer/solution once again?

No.

No.

I'm sorry, but

That is a completely retarded thing to say.

Unless you own firefox.

Otherwise you could've simply stated: "I'ts impossible".

My best regards,
and good luck with your beloved browser. Others might not agree with you, but who cares. You are happy with it? Stay happy!
---------------
p.s.:
I was very sorry for having to write this reply but you don't call a retard everyone who might not share your opinion. Yet, I'm sure that this was only one of those bad days...(we all have them)!

Cheers.

Ok guys. I got my answer!!!

This is what I have learned from other sources.

1. Firefox doesn’t give full physical path of a file to be uploaded for security reasons.
2. IE X < IE 8 do give full physical path of a file to be uploaded although it is not good thing.
3. According to bugzilla this behavior will be disabled in IE8 (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=143220). I haven’t used it yet. As it is seen as a security hole by Microsoft at the end, since it can give client machine data that exposes file structure.

Therefore, I have chosen different approach to change the logic of my website.

I hope this is a better answer for all of us.

Thanks

i think you can still get the full path using filesystemobject even if file input's full path property disabled in IE8

It seems that, one day, this behaviour will disappear completly. Thus, i rather focus on other approaches.

Also, i was committed to Microsoft for long time but, not anymore.

Sagol anyway.

wow do you speak turkish ?

No, why?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.