I've worked up a site for a friend who wanted a horizontal scrolling site -I've managed to do it (www.testdrive-site.co.uk/site2) for Firefox etc. but the links didn't slide the page across to the relevant 'page' in iE. I checked the site and now it validates but doesn't even load in IE now!

Any help gratefully received!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello Reggie32,
I have looked your code over, and I am fairly certain that I have encountered this browser specific bug before.

When I encountered it, I was attempting to embed a google map onto a web page using their exact script code, and my page w3c validated too, and yet it produced the same IE error yours does.

What I overlooked (and appears you have as well) is the placement of such script elements. Once I moved all of the script src tags to inside of the head tags it works fine in IE without the can not download error.

For your site I would start off by trying to move just this one line into the head section <script src="js/lucuma.js" type="text/javascript"></script> If that is not enough to fix it then you may also need to move this one into the head as well and then call to it with a div class:
<script type="text/javascript">
// Slide Portfolio....</script>

Hope this helps. If you need more help feel free to contact me and I will see if I can find time to rewrite this for you.

Thanks Beerlover,
Its odd but if I move the <script src="js/lucuma.js" type="text/javascript"></script> into the head with rest of the js the scrolling stops working in firefox giving me a static page.
I've tried duplicating it in header - still works in firefox. I'll go round friends and look at it on a PC! (I'm Mac based)

Still no show in iE. The site displays then after 2 seconds a message comes up:
[ Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www.testdrive-site.co.uk/site2/. Operation aborted ]
(At least it opened ...before I verified it!)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.