As more and more sites require complex form dialoging, it seems that JavaScript is taking over ASP.NET. Who uses .NET anymore and how sufficient is it? I will admit, JavaScript does have its kinks and perpetual bugs but is far more capable and adaptable than ASP.NET in my opinion. Should ASP.NET be used only on small scale operations? If there are any, what are the limitations of ASP.NET? What does the future hold for this language and should Microsoft continue with the ASP.NET Visual Studio Line up? Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Misperceive ASP.NET & JavaScript. You should read the books of JavaScript & ASP.NET.

javascript is especially useful serverside, where ASP.NET is absolutely weak... ;) from this point on you can guess my answer. Or maybe we wouldn't need servers in the future...

The main obstracle for asp.net is hosing is too much expensive.

erm am I missing the point? ASP.NET & Javascript as competing web development technologies? You have to look at what your project involves, if you want to do any serious database driven web application you will need to use ASP.NET, PHP, Ruby on Rails or any of the server scripting frameworks.

Frameworks are designed to speed up development and of course they each have their own limitations. I personally develop sites using whatever makes sense to develop them with, which could be anything from JQuery, Silverlight, Flash, Subsonic, Telerik ORM, Dotnetnuke, Rails, PHP you name it I have tried it!

Web developers are essentially solution developers, so it is our job to pick the right tools for the job. If you want to hand code sites using javascript and ignoring the abstractions that you could use by implementing frameworks, then good luck to you, it sounds like an epic endeavour, and I hope your client is willing to finance your voyage !

[mail2saion]
I don't agree that windows hosting is all that expensive You can get ASP.NET hosting these days for around $5 a month with a SQL express database. Try http://www.infosaic.com/

javascript is especially useful serverside, where ASP.NET is absolutely weak... ;) from this point on you can guess my answer. Or maybe we wouldn't need servers in the future...

Are you saying that javascript is useful serverside? Or is it intended to be sarcastic, i hope so!

I agree with sedgey about the hosting but any dynamically data driven site; daniweb, msdn, facebook, google etc. could not be entirely JavaScript this is a useless comparison as they require server side code be it ASP.Net, ASP, PHP etc. to perform some heavy lifting of data to output content to a page.

I cant believe I posted that question. I meant Server-side JavaScript (SSJS) implemented by Netscape's LiveWire, included in their Enterprise Server 2.0 product, released in 1996. I was trying to extrapolate any advantages SSJS might have (including servlets) over ASP.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.