help! i have a gridview with checkbox item template, and on click, those rows that are checked will be inserted into the database. When i close and run my application again, i want those rows previously inserted to remain checked. Means that i have to retrieve data from the database and check against my gridview data....Please advise with C# codes. thkz alot

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by ishamputra

If database column bound to the database is boolean type, then the checkbox in the template column will automatically checked.

See my code snippet in this link: http://www.daniweb.com/code/snippet1248.html

In the above code snippet, i have bound a checkbox template column to a boolean field in a DataTable which is created temprorily(not retrieved from database). Change that code slightly to address you requirement.

If database column bound to the database is boolean type, then the checkbox in the template column will automatically checked.

See my code snippet in this link: http://www.daniweb.com/code/snippet1248.html

In the above code snippet, i have bound a checkbox template column to a boolean field in a DataTable which is created temprorily(not retrieved from database). Change that code slightly to address you requirement.

sorry, i dont quite understand. is there a more simplified way?
on page load, the gridview checkbox item will check those rows that already exist in the database.

wat i have done is fill my records to a dataset, but i cant find a way to loop and compare the boundfield of the gridview to the dataset to find the same text, and if there is a same text, checkbox item will be checked...

This code checks checkboxs in a gridview on page load. i believe you can use this. I am sorry this code is in vb but i hope it still helps maybe someone can rewrite it out in c#. please tell me if it's what you need

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        For Each row As GridViewRow In GridView1.Rows
            Dim cb As CheckBox = row.FindControl("Checkbox1")
            If cb IsNot Nothing Then
                Dim productID As Integer = Convert.ToInt32(GridView1.DataKeys(row.RowIndex).Value)
                If productID = 1 Then ' Here you can have any condition
                    cb.Checked = True  'checks the box on page load
                End If
            End If
        Next
    End Sub
End Class

This code checks checkboxs in a gridview on page load. i believe you can use this. I am sorry this code is in vb but i hope it still helps maybe someone can rewrite it out in c#. please tell me if it's what you need

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        For Each row As GridViewRow In GridView1.Rows
            Dim cb As CheckBox = row.FindControl("Checkbox1")
            If cb IsNot Nothing Then
                Dim productID As Integer = Convert.ToInt32(GridView1.DataKeys(row.RowIndex).Value)
                If productID = 1 Then ' Here you can have any condition
                    cb.Checked = True  'checks the box on page load
                End If
            End If
        Next
    End Sub
End Class

thanks, its similar but not likely the codes i wanted...since i need to compare against dataset..

i did something like this...pls advise...

public void CheckCoordinator()
    {
        DataSet ds = stfDAL.RetrieveCoordinator();
        for (int i = 0; i < grdStaffManager.Rows.Count; i++)
        {
            if ()// statement to compare the 1st columns of the gridview against the dataset.
            {
                CheckBox cb = (CheckBox)grdStaffManager.Rows[i].Cells[4].FindControl("chkCoordinator");
                cb.Checked = true;
            }
        }
    }
    DataSet ds = stfDAL.RetrieveCoordinator();

foreach (DataRow dr in ds.Tables[0].Rows)
    {
        for (int i = 0; i < grdStaffManager.Rows.Count; i++)
        {               
                if (dr["staffID"].ToString() == grdStaffManager.Rows[i].Cells[0].Text)
                {
                    CheckBox cb = (CheckBox)grdStaffManager.Rows[i].Cells[4].FindControl("chkCoordinator");
                    cb.Checked = true;
                }
        }
    }

i figured it out myself...thanks guys

Edited by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.