Hi,

I have 2 projects, the business entity, there I have all the classes mapped from the database and the web project where I fill those business entity classes. Then, I need to store in a DB. I have the globalization set in the web.config on the web project. (VS2008, NET 3.5, SQL 2005)

My problem is when I have an instance of the BE class, and I have a date attribute on it, the value entered is not formatted according the globalization in the web.config, and obviously when I pass to the class to store in the DB it fails due to date format.

I think is missing some configuration... but I googled for it and no luck.

There you have part of my coding:

Business Entity:

Public Class Categoria
    Inherits AuditBaseClass

Private _categ_id As String
    Private _categ_descripcion As String
    Private _categ_tipo_item As Integer
    Private _categ_parent As String
    Private _categ_estado_registro As Char
    Private _creado_usuario As String
    Private _creado_fecha As DateTime
    Private _modificado_usuario As String
    Private _modificado_fecha As DateTime

[...]

Public Property creado_fecha() As DateTime
        Get
            Return Me._ creado_fecha
        End Get
        Set(ByVal value As DateTime)
            Me._ creado_fecha = value
        End Set
    End Property

[...]

End Class

Web Project (WebSite)

Private Sub guardar_datos()

Dim oCategoriaWCF As New definiciones.DefinicionesClient    '<--- Class to store in DB
        Dim oCategoriaBE As New BE.Categoria                         '<--- Object with the Date Attribute

Dim result As Integer = -1

oCategoriaBE.id = CInt(Session.Item("data.id"))
        oCategoriaBE.categ_descripcion = Me.txtDescripcion.Text.Trim
        oCategoriaBE.categ_tipo_item = Me.ddlTipoItem.SelectedValue
        oCategoriaBE.categ_parent = Me.ddlParent.SelectedValue.Trim
        If oCategoriaBE.id = Nothing Or oCategoriaBE.id = 0 Then
            oCategoriaBE.creado_usuario = Session.Item("gen.user_name")
            oCategoriaBE.creado_fecha = Now()                     '<--- Now() method returns the incorrect date format and also the value stored 
        Else
            oCategoriaBE.modificado_usuario = Session.Item("gen.user_name")
            oCategoriaBE.modificado_fecha = Now()                 '<--- Now() method returns the incorrect date format and also the value stored 
        End If

Try
            result = oCategoriaWCF.GuardarCategoria(oCategoriaBE)        '<---- this method fails when it tries to store in the DB
        Catch ex As Exception
            result = -2
        Finally
            oCategoriaWCF.Close()
        End Try

If result > 0 Then
            Me.lblResponse.Text = "Los datos fueron guardados satisfactoriamente"
            carga_datos()
            limpiar_controles()
        Else
            Me.lblResponse.Text = "Hubo un error al guardar los datos"
        End If

oCategoriaWCF = Nothing
    End Sub

web.config

<system.web>
    <globalization requestEncoding="ISO-8859-1" responseEncoding="ISO-8859-1" uiCulture="es-PE" culture="es-PE" />
</system.web>

Thanks!

Contributors
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by sknake

I never found a solution to the exact same problem you're having. I had a BE project that did transaction posting to a payment gateway and I tested it on a winform application and it worked perfectly .. then when I used it from a web application assembly it failed and I spent hours to figure out that the web apps and desktop apps format differently.

I never found a solution using localization. I began explicitly calling the .ToString() with the desired DateFormat options. The number of decimal places, separator, etc also varied between the desktop and web apps.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.