I'll start by publishing my code:

// query article
	$query1 = "SELECT page_title,author_id FROM articles WHERE category = 'fiction'";

$mysql_result1 = mysql_query ($query1)
		or die ("Query '$query1' failed with error message: \"" . mysql_error () . '"');

$fiction_articles = mysql_fetch_assoc($mysql_result1);

// query author
	$auth_result = &$fiction_articles['author_id'];
	$query2 = "SELECT author FROM authors WHERE author_id = '$auth_result'";

$mysql_result2 = mysql_query ($query2)
		or die ("Query '$query2' failed with error message: \"" . mysql_error () . '"');

$auth_row = mysql_fetch_assoc($mysql_result2);

// Parameters
	$fiction_page_title = $fiction_articles['page_title'];

$fiction_author = $auth_row['author'];

// Print

$row = 0;
	while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($mysql_result1))
	{
		echo '								<li>' . $fiction_author . ': "' . $row['page_title'] . '"</li>';
		$row++;
	}

Now, I have to admit, I know some PHP and MySQL stuff, but I'm still a-learning.

So, I basically have two tables in my database. "articles" and "authors". In this specific case I have to grab 'page_title' and 'author_id' from "articles" and 'author' from "authors". Why the last bit? Well, 'author_ids' in "articles" are set in code (so, for example, 'w001') and the corresponding author information is stored in "authors".

Now, I want to create an archive list of all the entries in "articles" which have as 'category' fiction.

Problem is, it's not working. It grabs a random fiction entry to use and processes that, but 1) only does it once and then stops and 2) doesn't connect the 'author_ids'.

I'm doing a lot wrong in this code, but I've changed it so often after having found a new way to do (found on the web) that it has become foggy.

Help?

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by empoor

I would use MySQL LEFT JOIN to just run 1 query. Maybe something like this:

"SELECT `articles`.`page_id`, `articles`.`author_id`, `authors`.`author` FROM (`articles` LEFT JOIN `authors` ON `articles`.`author_id` = `authors`.`author_id`) WHERE `category` = 'fiction' "

This will bring `author` and `page_title` into the same query, which will be a lot easier.

What is your other query? I didn't understand what you were saying with "It grabs a random fiction entry to use and processes that, but 1) only does it once and then stops "

Thanks for the MySQL LEFT JOIN tip! That solved at least one problem. It now correctly identifies the author corresponding to its id.

The query problem was this: whatever I do, it doesn't pick all the entries. The table "articles" has three (test) entries in the category 'fiction', but it only identifies the second two. Tried solving that with "$row = 0;" but it's still not working.

This line:

is your problem.
mysql_fetch_assoc() only returns 1 row.

This line:

is your problem.
mysql_fetch_assoc() only returns 1 row.

I don't think that's correct. PHP manual has the following on the mysql_fetch_assoc page:

// While a row of data exists, put that row in $row as an associative array
// Note: If you're expecting just one row, no need to use a loop
// Note: If you put extract($row); inside the following loop, you'll
// then create $userid, $fullname, and $userstatus
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
echo $row["userid"];
echo $row["fullname"];
echo $row["userstatus"];
}

I am not sure why you have added

$row = 0;

or

$row++;

. These shouldn't be necessary. I wonder if $row++ is causing the problem

I don't think that's correct. PHP manual has the following on the mysql_fetch_assoc page:

I am not sure why you have added

$row = 0;

or

$row++;

. These shouldn't be necessary. I wonder if $row++ is causing the problem

It looks like he is returning more than one row from that query, so yes that is correct.

It looks like he is returning more than one row from that query, so yes that is correct.

I know he wants multiple rows, but I am pretty sure you can use mysql_fetch_assoc for multiple rows, like in the example I showed from the PHP manual.

Thanks for all the answers (and the little discussion :P)

I deleted the

$row = 0;

and

$row++;

And basically nothing changed. It still only displays two of the three entries. (So, I guess it was pointless code. Thanks.)

mysql_fetch_assoc actually does return more than one row, as it is doing now. The remaining problem is that it isn't processing the first row.

Please could you post your code as it is now? It will be easier to understand what is happening now that you are just using the MySQL LEFT JOIN

At last! I think I've spotted the problem. $fiction_articles = mysql_fetch_assoc($mysql_result1); is calling row 1 before while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($mysql_result1)) is calling rows 2 onwards

You probably can just delete the top line. But if not, you can use mysql_data_seek to revert to row zero.

YES! That's exactly what solved it :) Not sure why I defined $fiction_articles, when I wasn't really using it, but, yes, thanks :)

The final, working, code is:

// query article
	$query1 = "SELECT articles.page_id,articles.page_title,articles.author_id,authors.author FROM (articles LEFT JOIN authors ON articles.author_id = authors.author_id) WHERE category = 'fiction' ORDER BY page_id";

$mysql_result1 = mysql_query ($query1)
		or die ("Query '$query1' failed with error message: \"" . mysql_error () . '"');

// Print

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($mysql_result1))
	{
		echo '<li>' . $row['author'] . ': "' . $row['page_title'] . '"</li>';
	}

Thanks to all. Now I can move on to work on permalinks and URIs, without having to worry about this pesky little problem :)

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.