Hi, I'm new here, looking for some assistance...
I am starting a new xbox clan, and I'm buillding the website for it. Normally I build my own websites and code them, but I wanted to go a bit more advanced than I usually do, and learn a little bit more.

What I'm looking for, on the main page of the site, you click "Join Us"
This directs you to a form, still located on our main site, you fill it out, hit submit, and it makes a post on our forums, in the private, admin only section for us to read and review.

I have heard of a script that will allow this. I'm not exactly sure how it works, or even where to begin on this. I have the form already set up on the page in dreamweaver, I just need to code it so that it takes the information that was filled out, keeps it organized, and creates a post on the forums for us to read.

I use vBulletin 3.8.3 forums, and Dreamweaver 8 (If this helps)
I'm not looking for someone to do the work for me here, I'm looking for more of show me how, or if you prefer, write the script, and tell me how it works, and what you wrote.

I'd really like to learn more, so that in future situations I can write my own.

Thanks so much in advance.
Unlimited

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Anyone have any ideas on where I can at least start to figure out what I need to do for this? This is the last step for the site. After the forms are done, the site will be finished and fully functional.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Hey.

I am not familiar with the internals of vBulletin, but presumably it has a database where it stores forum posts and related info.
All you have to do is create a script that adds a record to the post table, and perhaps to the "surrounding" tables, if that is needed.

Your first step in creating this would be to study the databases for the forum. Maybe check out the PHP code for the vBulletin page that adds forum posts.

The actual adding of the data to the database is pretty straight forward. The problem is understanding what needs to be added to which tables.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.