Im a recent grad working on my first paid project as an aspiring freelance .net developer. I have no idea what to charge for the project description below:

Client needs a web app to manage sales leads. Sales reps, managers, and call center will all be able to insert a sales lead (name, address, phone number ect ect) into sql database table.
Only the manager will be able to access these records via a GridView of last names arranged alphabeticaly. Once the manager clicks on a name, the details are then presented in a
FormView control. Manager can then assign a rep to each perticular lead.
When a rep logs in he will only see his leads arranged in the same way "Master/details". He will also be able to update comments unto the nature and state of the lead eg..sold,killed,next month.
Manager will also have the abillity to delete and create new reps and assign them passwords..

Ive got it all figured out, I just need to know what i could/should charge for this project. Please no hour/rate equations. This wont work for me as i am a recent grad and this will take me twice as long to develop as would a seasoned professional. I am interested in knowing what the final damage should be. I apreciate any feedback.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You should consider some formal approach to estimating the size of this project, and then put it on paper. Your effort should focus on the requirements. Itemize the time you will need to understand each requirement, research the needed tools to accomplish it, design the structure you will put in place to support this requirement, implement the structure that you designed, and test the functionality of the requirement. You may find that this is to be broken down by use case, function points, story points, or other methods. Check out this link for details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_effort_estimation

You should then charge your hourly rate for each of the parts separately, and get everything on paper and in writing. Get ready to receive requests for changes and additions, and be prepared to write a new estimate and contract for these changes. Best of luck in your project and career.

First calulate man hour for this project. Then multiply by 10-15(based on coder rate/hr) US$ . Hope now you can estimate the price.

Please no hour/rate equations. This wont work for me as i am a recent grad and this will take me twice as long to develop as would a seasoned professional.

Thats true. You might need more time than a professional but ideally cost should not vary much for the end product. If you take more hours being fresher your /hour rate will be low as well while professional will charge more /hour and but take less hours for development.
So in reality you will still get same amount as a professional but you have to work more hours. But you gain experience since you are a starter and that is your investment for initial years.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.