Hello everyone!

I am currently going to build a simple booking website for a restaurant using PHP which will have two major functionality. One will be to book for seats and other to possibly let people order takeaways. Now that will be the front end of the system. But I will need something for the owners of the restaurant to know the bookings and the order. I know there is some content management systems like Joomla and Drupal but I am thinking if there is some other way to provide a simple back-end. If anyone could point me some resources or give me some idea on this I would be grateful. Thank you.

6pandn21

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hello everyone!

I am currently going to build a simple booking website for a restaurant using PHP which will have two major functionality. One will be to book for seats and other to possibly let people order takeaways. Now that will be the front end of the system. But I will need something for the owners of the restaurant to know the bookings and the order. I know there is some content management systems like Joomla and Drupal but I am thinking if there is some other way to provide a simple back-end. If anyone could point me some resources or give me some idea on this I would be grateful. Thank you.

6pandn21

Hey you can use php/asp/ any suitable for both.

hi,
if you want show orders and etc. you can create folder and put authenicate to it, only admin login through his valid id and password, put all the file what do you want to shows for admin.

Backend web development is important coz this program can be a crucial aspect of any project depending on your business and the types of products and/or services your company provides to your visitors.

You need to do an analysis of the data you require for these tasks, for example:

2 main types of functionality you require -
1. Book seat in restaurant
2. Order take away.

Question: What data is required (by each functionality)?

1. Book-ee's Details - Name, possibily phone no, email address might be nice to send a confirmation to...etc...
Restaurant bookings - Current amount of places in the restaurant for a specific date (might need to know table sizes as doing it by heads might not be possible).

2. Person details - Name, address, phone number - for delivery. Possibly again, an email address to send confirmation or promotional info in the future.
Order Details - Needs to have a listing of menu items ordered.
Menu Details - Might have menu items categorised by starter, main, desert (maybe, i dont know). The item name and description and a price.

This is a very simplified analysis, and i dont know the exacting requirements of your project. But this is the sort of process i would go through if i wasn't aware of UML to identify the requirements of the back end. You need to make sure you follow good practices in db design such as, no many to many relationships and foreign keys etc...

Once your DB is designed, you can offer the restaurant a couple of simple screens to allow the update of this data, which as far as i can imagine would be to input bookings they recieve by phone (and thus reducing the amount of available places for a given date) and allow the user a method of managing menu items... Given the fact you only need 2 screens for the restaurant i would just steam ahead and offer them php pages to manage this.

Anyways, should get you going.

start from scratch is the best option. Just begin with basic needs and build more options as you go. That is what I have learned to do

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.