Hi all,

I've registered a host name that I have been port forwarding to IIS for html/php pages. I recently setup up some connectors for Tomcat 6 and IIS, but that's not going so well.

I can only view a set of sample pages that came with Tomcat and none of the projects (currently being developed in eclipse and auto-deploying via .war in webapps) I create, although they work perfectly fine in eclipse and @ localhost.

Have I missed something as far server/web.xml config?

Do my individual applications need to be configured as individual context's within a host?

Also, if I shut off IIS shouldn't any traffic coming in on standard http (80) be picked up by Tomcat?

Hi all,

I've registered a host name that I have been port forwarding to IIS for html/php pages. I recently setup up some connectors for Tomcat 6 and IIS, but that's not going so well.

I can only view a set of sample pages that came with Tomcat and none of the projects (currently being developed in eclipse and auto-deploying via .war in webapps) I create, although they work perfectly fine in eclipse and @ localhost.

Have I missed something as far server/web.xml config?

Do my individual applications need to be configured as individual context's within a host?

Also, if I shut off IIS shouldn't any traffic coming in on standard http (80) be picked up by Tomcat?

By default Tomcat works on port 8080 so even if you shut off your IIS, the traffic on port 80 would not be automatically picked up by Tomcat. In fact any traffic that you are receiving on your Tomcat would also cease, as from the current situation it appears that your IIS is actually forwarding a select few requests received on port 80 to your Tomcat server as AFAIK it is not possible for two webservers to share the same listening port at the same time.
My suggestion is here check your IIS settings, I am sure that the select few sample pages of Tomcat that you can view, have been specifically configured so that any requests for those pages or that webcontext is transferred to Tomcat directly by the IIS server.
I have tried what you have mentioned between Apache and Tomcat instead of IIS and Tomcat and over there for every WebContext in Tomcat we would like Apache to serve out, we had to specify the same to the Apache(HTTPD)-Tomcat connector.
It seems the same applies to the IIS-Tomcat connector. Take a look at the section on adding additional contexts in this link.

Also just FYI you could try taking a look at the JBossWebServer, recently I was just going through its feature set and it seemed very much like a Tomcat WebServer with PHP support, so you could simplify your life by eliminating the IIS to Tomcat connectors and all the other baggage that brings along by just managing one web server.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.