Hi,

Need some help with an problem that bugging me..

I have to open a .doc file at the client side when the user clicks a button.

Opening is not a problem.. I am able to do it using the following code
which is executed when the user clicks on the button

my code:

byte[] imagecontent = (byte[])(drd[0]);
Response.ContentType = "application/octet-stream";
Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment;filename=" + drd.GetValue(1).ToString());
Context.Response.BinaryWrite(imagecontent);

The problem is that the user first sees a 'Open/ Save / Cancel' dialog box. Only when the user clicks on 'Open' does the .doc file get opened.

I am using following code but it does not working.

String strPop = "<script language='javascript'>" + Environment.NewLine +
"window.open('E:\MyWork\Test\DownloadFiles\Reports\Rpt.pdf"','Report','height=520,width=730,toolbars=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes');" + Environment.NewLine +
"</script>" + Environment.NewLine;
Page.RegisterStartupScript("Pop", strPop);

Am at a loss and any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by LaxLoafer

The "attachment" in your content-disposition instructs the browser to prompt for saving. The desired behavior you're describing is inline:

if (view)
            Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "inline; filename = " + file.OriginalFileName);
          else
            Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename = " + file.OriginalFileName);
public static void ServeAsPDF(System.Web.UI.Page webPage, Boolean download, String FileName)
    {
        try
        {
            string htmlString = GetHtmlForPage(webPage);

webPage.Response.Buffer = true;
            webPage.Response.Clear();
            webPage.Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-word"; //application/octet-stream
            webPage.Response.ContentEncoding = System.Text.UnicodeEncoding.UTF8;
            webPage.Response.Charset = "UTF-8";
            webPage.Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition:", "attachment; filename="+ FileName +"");
            webPage.Response.AddHeader("cache-control", "must-revalidate");

webPage.Response.Write("<html xmlns:v='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml' xmlns:o='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office' xmlns:w='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word'  xmlns:m='http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml' xmlns='http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40'>");
            webPage.Response.Write("<head>");
            webPage.Response.Write("<title>PF FUND</title>");
            webPage.Response.Write("<META HTTP-EQUIV='Content-Type' CONTENT='text/html; charset=UTF-8'>");
            webPage.Response.Write("<meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document>");
            webPage.Response.Write("<meta name=Generator content='Microsoft Word 9'>");
            webPage.Response.Write("<meta name=Originator content='Microsoft Word 9'>");
            webPage.Response.Write("<!--[if gte mso 9]> <xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Print</w:View> <w:Zoom>100</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml> <![endif]-->");
            webPage.Response.Write("<style>");
            webPage.Response.Write("@page { size: 8.27in 11.69in; mso-page-orientation: Portrait Orientation; }");
            webPage.Response.Write("@page Section1 {margin:0.5in 0.5in 0.5in 0.5in;mso-paper-source:0;}");
            webPage.Response.Write("div.Section1 {page:Section1;}");
            webPage.Response.Write("@page Section2 {size:841.7pt 595.45pt;mso-page-orientation:landscape;margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;mso-header-margin:.5in;mso-footer-margin:.5in;mso-paper-source:0;}");
            webPage.Response.Write("div.Section2 {page:Section2;}");
            webPage.Response.Write("</style>");
            webPage.Response.Write("</head>");
            webPage.Response.Write("<body>");
            webPage.Response.Write("<div class=Section1>");
            webPage.Response.Write(htmlString);
            webPage.Response.Write("</div>");
            webPage.Response.Write("</body>");
            webPage.Response.Write("</html>");
            webPage.Response.Flush();
            webPage.Response.End();
        }
        catch
        {
            //Handle Exception
        }
    }
    public static string GetHtmlForPage(System.Web.UI.Page PgIn)
    {
        StringWriter sw = new StringWriter();
        HtmlTextWriter htw = new HtmlTextWriter(sw);
        Panel Panel1 = (Panel)PgIn.FindControl("Panel1");
        Panel1.RenderControl(htw);
        return sw.ToString();
    }

Hi, i used this code to generate word file from an aspx page. But my problem is, i need to generate pdf from this word file. So i want to read the word file, save it in byte array and render the bye array as PDF.

But this word file is generated on client side. I need to save this file on server, then read this word file and generate pdf so that user can view only PDF, not the word File..

Previously i tried to convert webpage to PDF but failed to do so..so i found it easy to generate a word file and then convert it into PDF ..
Please help me to accomplish this task..Its Urgent..!!!

Avinash,
Welcome to the forum! Please see DaniWeb's FAQ page, and note the 'Keep it Organized' section;-)
I'll post a response to a duplicate of your question, found here: [thread=381383]Save File to a given location without Open/Save Dialogue Box[/thread]

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.