Hi,

I am making an online page for a company so that users can upload and download files from the company's server. Now, as every ASP .NET developer knows, the ASP .NET framework includes a file upload control for users to upload files to the server.

The problem with this is that this control uses HTTP and is very slow and can not handle large file sizes.

I need to have file upload implemented with FTP. I have looked into it and from what I have seen people use the FTP classes in .NET to transfer files from one server to another, not from a user to the server through a web page.

Does anyone know of a solution using the framework for uploading to the server with FTP?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You can increase the size that you can upload by adding/modifying the httpRuntime element under system.web in web.config.

Example:

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="20000" executionTimeout="900" />

This will allow request streams of 20000 KB (to support large uploads) and bump the timeout of a page up to 900 seconds.

Unfortunately this still is not an acceptable solution. I've already done this but it still times out for large files ~> 50 MB. It must be done with FTP.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Hi,

I am making an online page for a company so that users can upload and download files from the company's server. Now, as every ASP .NET developer knows, the ASP .NET framework includes a file upload control for users to upload files to the server.

The problem with this is that this control uses HTTP and is very slow and can not handle large file sizes.

I need to have file upload implemented with FTP. I have looked into it and from what I have seen people use the FTP classes in .NET to transfer files from one server to another, not from a user to the server through a web page.

Does anyone know of a solution using the framework for uploading to the server with FTP?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you are trying to pull files from client via FTP and have them placed on the server ... is this correct? If so this is not possible. All file transfers must be initiated by the client, not the server.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.