Hi,

I am developing a website which will allow users to click the <RUN> button to execute some reports. These reports are public functions inside a DLL created earlier, and function takes around a few minutes to a few hours to finish.

Should I use the Asynchronous HTTP Handler to run the functions? If the user close the web page, I wonder if the thread will continue to run, and how reliable it is. If not, I guess I will wrap the DLL inside a windows service which will handle the calls from the web request.

cheers

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

To add on, it is required that even if the web page closes, the functions must still continue to run. Once its finish, it'll update its status on the database, which will be read by a web page that display the current status.

>Post#1 - If the user close the web page, I wonder if the thread will continue to run, and how reliable it is.

The ASP.NET request continues to execute.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.