Help... I have just been presented with the responsibility of supporting a JSP application. The person who was handling EVERYTHING has left us (Rest his soul) and did not leave any documentation.

The first thing I need to do is create a backup server and copy the application to it.

It is running on a Linux ??? platform at the moment. I am VERY comfortable working on Windows and have some experience on Linux. I have NO experience with JSP but believe I am a quick study.

The app seems to be using JavaBeans, MySQL and JSP.

Can someone suggest a resource where I can start?

Should I make the backup server the same OS as the current server?

What config files do I need to copy?

I realize nothing is as easy as it sounds but shouldn't I be able to load a computer with Linux, Install the Apache, Tomcat, and MySQL, copy the MySQL database, the WebApp, some config files and viola... We got a backup server?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

BB

> The first thing I need to do is create a backup server and copy the application to it.

Should have been there all along :)

>It is running on a Linux ??? platform at the moment. I am VERY comfortable working
>on Windows and have some experience on Linux. I have NO experience with JSP but
>believe I am a quick study.

First get that machine up, then worry about changing the application.

>Can someone suggest a resource where I can start?

Your hardware vendor :)

>Should I make the backup server the same OS as the current server?

I'd go further and make it identical in both hardware and software to the main machine.

>What config files do I need to copy?

If you do that you can just back up the entire production machine and use that tape to create the backup...
Then you just have to change the machine name and network addresses and you're almost done.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.