Hi, I'm trying my first program using servlets and JSP and would appreciate any help or advice about a problem I'm having.

In my servlet I'm connecting to the database and displaying all the records in there. I'm then trying to add data to a JavaBean so that I can click a button and get the attributes from the JavaBean in the JSP. This is the servlet code (just the relevant bits - the query to get data executes fine):

out.println("<form action=\"viewAllViewJSP_kv003302.jsp\" method=\"post\">");
out.print("<table>");
out.print("<tr>");
Vector<customerBean_kv003302> custs = new Vector<customerBean_kv003302>();

while (rs.next())
            {
                out.println("<tr" + (ctr++ % 2 == 0 ? " class=\"shaded\"" : "") + ">");
                out.println("<td>" + rs.getInt(1) + "</td>");
                out.println("<td>" + rs.getString(2) + " " + rs.getString(4) + " " + rs.getString(3) + "</td>");
                out.println("<td>" + rs.getString(5) + ", " + rs.getString(6) + "</td>");
                out.println("<td><input type=\"submit\" name=\"viewDetails\" value=\"View Details\">");
                out.println("</tr>");
                customerBean_kv003302 cust = new customerBean_kv003302();
                cust.setName(rs.getString(3));
                custs.add(cust);
            }
            request.setAttribute("CustomerCollection", custs);
            out.println("</table>");
            out.println("</form");

In my .jsp file, this is the code I was using (I know how to display it I just need help getting the attributes in the first place)

<% java.util.Vector collection =
               (java.util.Vector)request.getAttribute("CustomerCollection");

if (collection != null)
    {
  // Iterate through data & put it in a table
 // Then display all in HTML
%>
<%
    }
    else
    {
        throw new javax.servlet.jsp.JspException(
                   "Collection View could not be found");
    }
%>

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very stuck!

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by peter_budo

I do not want to be rude, but you better stop there before you get bad habits, like JSP-database connectivity. Start reading Head First - Servlet and JSP

I'm sorry but I tried reading the book and couldn't find anything that would help me with this particular problem. I don't understand exactly what I am doing wrong?

1. Generating website through servlet (code 1)
2. Messing page view (JSP) with unnecessary Java coding (code 2)

I didn't give you link as solution to your problem, but as resource to learn from as you obviously don't know what you doing in your code

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.