I have the following php code:

$query = "INSERT INTO flashcards VALUES (null, '".$_POST['front0']."', '".$_POST['back0']."', ".$link.", ".$details.", NOW());
INSERT INTO bundleflashcardlink VALUES (null, ".$flashcardbundleid.", LAST_INSERT_ID());";
				$result = mysql_query($query);

which gives me the following error:

DB Connection error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'INSERT INTO bundleflashcardlink VALUES (null, 37, LAST_INSERT_ID())' at line 2

When I put the following into phpmyadmin it executes properly:

INSERT INTO flashcards VALUES (null, 'front', 'back', 'link', 'details', NOW());# Affected rows: 1

INSERT INTO bundleflashcardlink VALUES (null, 37, LAST_INSERT_ID());# Affected rows: 1

I'm kinda a newb at php so any help would be appreciated. Also is there a better way to formulate the $query string than using concatenation operators to throw in the php variables?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I would not use $_POST for your values. From memory that has casued a problem not sure. I don't think the dot from the start and end of string are not required

The error message is saying something is wrong with the first SQL statement. It expected more, but saw the start of a new statement.

Only difference I can really see is that you did not quote the 'link' and 'details' values in the PHP code.

The following might be more readable and maintainable:

$query = "
  INSERT INTO flashcard
         VALUES (NULL,
                 '$_POST['front0']',
                 '$_POST['back0']',
                 '$link',
                 '.$details',
                 NOW());
  INSERT INTO bundleflashcardlink
         VALUES (NULL,
                 '$flashcardbundleid',
                 LAST_INSERT_ID());";

Finally, the online PHP manual is a very valuable reference, as is the downloadable MySQL reference manual PDF.

Ok so I replaced it with the following code

$query = "INSERT INTO flashcards VALUES (null, ".$front.", ".$back.", ".$link.", ".$details.", NOW() );";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die('DB Connection error1: ' . mysql_error());

$query = "INSERT INTO bundleflashcardlink VALUES (null, ".$flashcardbundleid.", LAST_INSERT_ID());";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die('DB Connection error2: ' . mysql_error());

and sure enough its a problem on the first line as PatrickV said. I am now getting this error:

DB Connection error1: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' NOW() )' at line 1

The last column is a datetime but I cant seem to see what is wrong.

Fest3er: The strings in the query include the ' characters so that should be right.

Thanks

I've found the following function to be invaluable in all my PHP/MySQL work. Uncomment the print() to see the actual query used. It's much easier to debug when you can see exactly what is going on.

// function do_sql executes the specified statements, handles error,
//   and returns the resource by reference.

function do_sql($db, &$resource, $err_msg, $qstring) {
      //print "<p>$qstring</p>\n";
      $resource = mysql_query($qstring, $db)
        or die ($err_msg.": ".mysql_error());
  }

An example of calling do_sql :

do_sql ($dso, $color_rsp, "Couldn't get today's banner color", "
            SELECT o_color
              FROM ordo_colors
             WHERE o_date=CURDATE()");

$dso is returned from mysql_connect().

Multiple queries are not supported by mysql_query().
see: http://php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-query.php

Also make sure to quote the string you send as well as escape them with mysql_real_escape_string(). For the integers use intval() on them. This prevents sql injection, and ensures the values do cause an error if they contain special characters.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I found out that for some reason one of the variables was an empty string causing the problem.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.