I have just become involved with PHP. I am running Vista with IIS7 and PHP 5.2.13.
The installation was done via the Windows Web Installer and after a few issues I believe it now working.
My initial question is one of basic environmental understanding by this I mean all the examples of the basic .php scripts, "Hello World" are run from Localhost. Since I have set up my web development directories under a different directory, C:\Local_Sites, I would like to know is it possible to configure php to accept this directory?
I use DreamWeaver as the development application and so far all my attempts to run scripts here via the WEB Preview have failed with only the php source code being shown and not processed.

Am I misunderstanding how it all operates!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have just become involved with PHP. I am running Vista with IIS7 and PHP 5.2.13.
The installation was done via the Windows Web Installer and after a few issues I believe it now working.
My initial question is one of basic environmental understanding by this I mean all the examples of the basic .php scripts, "Hello World" are run from Localhost. Since I have set up my web development directories under a different directory, C:\Local_Sites, I would like to know is it possible to configure php to accept this directory?
I use DreamWeaver as the development application and so far all my attempts to run scripts here via the WEB Preview have failed with only the php source code being shown and not processed.

Am I misunderstanding how it all operates!!

All servers can be configured to run a certain directory as "document root".
Some conventional names are "public_html" or just "html" so that they are readily identified.
Put the various sites into sub-directories of "doc root". to view the test sites point the browser to http://localhost/site1 or http://localhost/site2, etc...

Most servers are Linux or Unix. I have no idea about this MS stuff either, nor do I want one, unless someone rolls up a Brinks truck full of money.
Ok, i better step down off the soap box before I get in trouble...

beat to the punch

Member Avatar for rajarajan2017

Your index file on server always begins with a root directory thats the structure of a web site. So I think there is no option to divert your folder to another one. You have to paste your files on a specific root folder only. Like other technologies, here there is no configuration to change the root.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.