Hi everyone,

Right now I have a shout box on my message board from shoutboxes. I want to make my own though that I can integrate into the board and have it only for member so it will stop being abused. Does anyone know how to do this?

Or how I could just have a text input form where the text is displayed on the main page. Either way. I can make the boxes and buttons, but can't figure out how to get it to display in a box on my site.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Actually maybe this has to be in Java script area??? My board is not on php

You will need a server-side solution. For most people this means ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, or JSP, although other options exist. Technically, you can code server-side ASP using Javascript, but most people don't. Most people use JavaScript for client-side scripting. You solution needs to be server-side because you need something that will save what people type in then display it to other site visitors later.

What is your board currently coded in? ASP? PHP? etc? Does your server support PHP? (Both Windows and Linux servers can support PHP--just a matter of whether your server host has configured it.)

Wow, I'm not sure. I am using Invisionfree board service. Uses Javascript I know, but I don't think it does PHP? Am I hooped?

InvisionFree is a hosted solution. I assume this means you do not have access to the server files. This means you can not customize the system (beyond any admin tools they give you).

By the way, the ".php" at the end of many InvisionFree URL's indicate it is a PHP based system.

You can't create a shoutbox with javascript assuming you want the shouts to persist between sessions and be shared between visitors. That is, if I enter a shout, you want to see my shout when you access the site.

Pooh, oh well...least I know why that nothing was working for me LOL I would change servers, but I don't want to move my board again. Thanks for your response though :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.