Hi all,

I've finally decided to get serious about learning JavaScript, and to facilitate this endeavor I've unearthed my copy of Danny Goodman's JavaScript Bible, 3rd Ed. (circa 1995, for which I no longer have the companion CD), but on reading the first chapter alone Ive realized just how outdated this tome is (with references to IE & NN v.2.0, Win3.1, "Digital's" Alta Vista, etc), so I am now considering purchasing the updated 4th Ed. The only problem with that is that I've read the reviews on Amazon.com and, judging by many of the reviews, it apparently doesn't live up to it's billing. I'm wondering if any of you have read the entire 4th Ed., or at least a substantial portion of it, and if so what your impressions are of it. Along with that, are there any particular references and/or tutorials - online or hardcopy- that you'd recommend I consider, or avoid, in acquiring this new-to-me skillset? Appropriate comments greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

wow, it seems incongruous with all of the web knowledgeable ppl that frequent these boards that no one has a resource to point me to.

Heh... I'm a .Net guy :-P no java in my blood.

OK, here I go ...

Are you sure you want to learn JavaScript and not a "real" language (such as java, for example)? JavaScript is a scripting language - meaning it's not awfully powerful and runs in a web browser client-side (as opposed to server-side).

It's used quite a bit to take care of the small lil tricks on the web. For example, you can use it to change an image when it's hovered over, create an online tic-tac-toe game, or even hangman. However, it can't be used with a backend database, etc. etc.

The best way to learn javascript is just to look at a whole lotta code snippets and see how things are done. It's really easy to figure out.

Check out www.javascriptsource.com <-- great site!

http://www.webteacher.com/javascript/
http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/index4.htm

I just did a google search for "javascript tutorial" and came up with those. They all look pretty good. Also, there are a lot of full working examples given, cuz as I said, it's the best way to learn.

webmonkey also has some good tutorials if I remember correctly. Another book you might want to look at is The Complete Idiots guide to JavaScript. It's pretty good. Though I agree with csgal, I'd learn a 'real' language. This is not to say you can't also know JS, just don't spend all your time on it. Because there is programs, such as Adobe ImageReady, that can take care of the bulk of your JS for you. Though it is good to understand it, in order to make changes or customize it. If you're really into a web language, I'd suggest php. Otherwise I'd learn Java, which could be used online or off :)

thanks anyway tekmaven (but please dont confuse java w/javascript)

thanks cscgal & iron_cross
i am aware of the what & why of javascript and i'm sure my www ide of choice (dreamweaver) can handle 90%+ of the coding, and ur both right about the "real language" bit, but i want to get a "semi-ool" language under my belt b4 i go ont to a real ool such as c++ (& then java); haven looked into php yet - ool?

thanx again

I went to the link to learn something.. and get some free code but this didn't work and wondering why? I use Dreamweaver normally but FP was on this laptop so tried it out there.
I thought JS had to go after all the rest of the coding here. I have JS on some sites which so say prevents non savvy users from pinching pictures.........
why isn't this working please? It would be good to be able to make the source code invisible is there a way please? I hide some code by pushing it a mile down the source code page. Anyone searching then thinks it's empty from there on..

html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>contact</title>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="capsules 011, default">
<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="none, default">
</head>

<body></body>
<XMP><script language="JavaScript"><!--function click()
{if (event.button==2){alert('This is my Script')}}document.onmousedown=click// --></script></XMP></TEXTAREA></DIV>
</html>

its not working because its all inside of a comment. remove the <!-- and --> from it. so it looks just like this

<xmp>
   <script language="JavaScript">
	 function click()
	 {if (event.button==2){alert('This is my Script')}}document.onmousedown=click//
   </script>
</xmp>

also, remember good formatting of the code will be your best freind later on down the line when you write very long and coplex scripts.

Please post new questions as separate threads so that multiple questions don't get lost on multiple pages of a single thread. In response to aeinstein's original question - check out www.javascriptsource.com - it has tons of free javascript code snippets that do a range of things along with demos of each - learning by example.

http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

Is what I would recommend. w3schools has some of the best guides to.. well alot of things. I learn my CSS techniques there. :)

I have another link somewhere on my computer, let me dig for that a bit.

I would also recommend googling for harmful javascript exploits, so you know what to look out for to keep your code ( and server! ) safe and secure.

Thanks for the response Killer_Typo I very much appreciate it and going to try it out

:-)

Ok, I just tried this code out and it shows the code up on the page and no message on a right click to give message..

what am I doing wrong? I placed the code into a blank Frontpage in html mode and viewed it both in preview and browser..

Maybe I should be on a beginners page some place.. sorry but sometimes it just needs a small chunk of the puzzle to get the bigger picture done..

Would appreciate your comment again please.. I do appreciate it..

Thanks for the response Killer_Typo I very much appreciate it and going to try it out

:-)

Ok, I just tried this code out and it shows the code up on the page and no message on a right click to give message..

what am I doing wrong? I placed the code into a blank Frontpage in html mode and viewed it both in preview and browser..

Maybe I should be on a beginners page some place.. sorry but sometimes it just needs a small chunk of the puzzle to get the bigger picture done..

Would appreciate your comment again please.. I do appreciate it..

post your question in a new thread, that way we dont take over the current one.

Hi all,

I've finally decided to get serious about learning JavaScript, and to facilitate this endeavor I've unearthed my copy of Danny Goodman's JavaScript Bible, 3rd Ed. (circa 1995, for which I no longer have the companion CD), but on reading the first chapter alone Ive realized just how outdated this tome is (with references to IE & NN v.2.0, Win3.1, "Digital's" Alta Vista, etc), so I am now considering purchasing the updated 4th Ed. The only problem with that is that I've read the reviews on Amazon.com and, judging by many of the reviews, it apparently doesn't live up to it's billing. I'm wondering if any of you have read the entire 4th Ed., or at least a substantial portion of it, and if so what your impressions are of it. Along with that, are there any particular references and/or tutorials - online or hardcopy- that you'd recommend I consider, or avoid, in acquiring this new-to-me skillset? Appropriate comments greatly appreciated!

Well I don't know hoe to get started well but I sure will enrol in a trainning school ok. Have anyway you could be of help to me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.