<td><b>Col 6</b></td>
  <td><b>Col 7</b></td>
</table>

and a function to add a row and cells in the row that looks like:

function addRow() {
  //add a row to the table keeping track of last row in table
  noRows = noRows+1;
  var newRow = document.getElementById("mytable").insertRow(noRows);

//add cells to new row with a unique tag and set the innerHTML to contain text boxes
  var oCell = newRow.insertCell(0);
  oCell.innerHTML = "<input type='button' value='x' onclick='removeRow(this);'/>";    

for (c=1; c<8; c++) {
     tag = "t"+noRows.toString()+c.toString();
     oCell = newRow.insertCell();
     oCell.innerHTML = "<input type='text' id=tag>";
  }
}

The problem is the insertCell won't insert that first cell with an x in it (which will allow users to click on the x button to delete the row) in the first cell in Google Chrome. Firefox inserts a row with the first cell containing the x button but no other cells with the text boxes.

I've tried setting the index on the cell insert to 0, 1, 8, nothing and Chrome either inserts a row with nothing in it (no text boxes, no x button, nothing other than a slight addition of space below the title row) or it adds the row correctly except the x button always winds up in the last cell. IE adds it correctly with no index value or 0. Firefox needs the 0 index (no index creates a blank row with nothing in it. It looks like there's a tiny blank row of nothing being inserted because you see the table get a tiny bit larger vertically but there is no x button, text boxes.

What am I doing wrong? How do I make this work in all 3 browsers? Well actually all browsers ideally but....

Further, if I supply the 0 index to get a row, clicking on the x button to delete it works correctly in IE and Chrome but does nothing in Firefox. That code looks like:

function removeRow(src){
  /* src refers to the input button that was clicked. 
     to get a reference to the containing <tr> element,
     get the parent of the parent (in this case <tr>)
  */   
  var oRow = src.parentElement.parentElement;  

//once the row reference is obtained, delete it passing in its rowIndex   
  document.getElementById("mytable").deleteRow(oRow.rowIndex); 
  noRows = noRows-1; 
}

So what is wrong with both the addRow and removeRow functions that is causing Chrome and Firefox to behave incorrectly?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

var oRow = src.parentElement.parentElement; is not supported by Firefox. Use var oRow = src.parentNode.parentNode; instead.

BTW: noRows is undefined, but that is just as well; there is no need for such a variable.

This version of addRow()

noRows=0;
function addRow() {
    //add a row to the table keeping track of last row in table
    noRows = noRows + 1;

var newRow = document.getElementById("mytable").insertRow(noRows);
    //add cells to new row with a unique tag and set the innerHTML to contain text boxes
    var oCell = newRow.insertCell(-1);
    oCell.innerHTML = "<input type='button' value='x' onclick='removeRow(this);'/>";

for (c = 1; c < 8; c++) {
        tag = "t" + noRows.toString() + c.toString();
        oCell = newRow.insertCell(-1);
        oCell.innerHTML = "<input type='text' value=" + tag + " id=tag>";

}
}

should make it clear how insertCell() works.

Actually I had an epiphany in the wee hours of the morning after thinking about the behavior I was seeing with Google Chrome inserting rows and cells backwards from what IE does. So I figured the insert row/cell problem out (better late than never I guess) and it works now in all 3 browsers. But the remove row does not work in Firefox. When you click on the delete button (the x), nothing happens. Works fine in Chrome and IE. Ideas?

Did you fix parentElement?

Sorry. I missed that change. That will teach me to try to juggle troubleshooting several things at once. That worked! Whew! THANK YOU AGAIN, fxm!

I would be happy to put an acknowledgement link on the site to you (if you have a web site) if you like. If so, e-mail me back with your link.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.