I would like to create a page which will pull news items according to today's date. What I have is a database which users input thier news information. But now I need to have the information output to a page which will change daily according to the current date. The BeginDate fields and EndDate fields are in date format in my database. Here's what I have to work with...

<!---Retrieve news from database--->
<cfquery name="NewsQuery" datasource="News">
SELECT *
FROM News
WHERE BeginDate <= '#Dateformat(Now(), "mm/dd/yyyy")#'
AND EndDate >= '#Dateformat(Now(), "mm/dd/yyyy")#'
</cfquery>

<!---Output news to page--->
<cfoutput query="NewsQuery">
<p>
#NewsTitle#
#NewsDesc#
#NewsDate#
</p>
</cfoutput>

Anything specific you can provide me with is greatly appreciated. Please provide me some code... I've been working on trying to get this to work for weeks!

Thanks for your help!!! :eek: :mrgreen:

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

By the way I'm using an Access database

What is your issue specifically? What error do you get or not get?

One issue could be access way of formatting the Date:

Try Removing the mm/dd/yy mask

Thank you for your reply!

Well with the code I recieve the following message:

==============================================================
Error Occurred While Processing Request
Error Executing Database Query.
[MERANT][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Table 'News' is exclusively locked by user 'Admin' on machine 'MY_PC'.

The Error Occurred in C:\CFusionMX\wwwroot\News\test.cfm: line 20

18 : </head>
19 :
20 : <body>
21 : <cfoutput query="NewsQuery">
22 : <p>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SQL SELECT * FROM News WHERE StartDate <= '07/27/2005' AND StopDate >= '07/27/2005'
DATASOURCE News
VENDORERRORCODE -1302
SQLSTATE HY000

Please Try The Following:

Check the CFML Reference Manual to verify that you are using the correct syntax.

Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.

Browser Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.2; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Remote Address 127.0.0.1
Referer
Date/Time 27-Jul-05 08:49 AM

Stack Trace (click to expand)
at cftest2ecfm599768075.runPage(C:\CFusionMX\wwwroot\News\test.cfm:20) at cftest2ecfm599768075.runPage(C:\CFusionMX\wwwroot\News\test.cfm:20)

java.sql.SQLException: [MERANT][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Table 'News' is exclusively locked by user 'Admin' on machine 'MY_PC'.
at com.merant.sequelink.ssp.Diagnostic.toSQLException(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ssp.Chain.cnvDiagnostics(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ssp.Chain.decodeDiagnostic(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ssp.Chain.decodeBody(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ssp.Chain.decode(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ssp.Chain.send(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ctxt.stmt.StatementContext.send(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ctxt.stmt.StmtCtxtState._getDescribeInfo(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ctxt.stmt.CreatedStmtCtxt.getDescribeInfo(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ctxt.stmt.StatementContext.getDescribeInfo(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ctxt.stmt.StmtCtxtState._execDirect(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ctxt.stmt.CreatedStmtCtxt.execDirect(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.ctxt.stmt.StatementContext.execDirect(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.jdbc.SequeLinkStatement._execute(Unknown Source)
at com.merant.sequelink.jdbc.SequeLinkStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
at jrun.sql.JRunStatement.execute(JRunStatement.java:304)
at coldfusion.sql.Executive.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.sql.Executive.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.sql.SqlImpl.execute(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.doEndTag(Unknown Source)
at cftest2ecfm599768075.runPage(C:\CFusionMX\wwwroot\News\test.cfm:20)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(Unknown Source)
at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106)
at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42)
at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:241)
at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:527)
at jrun.servlet.http.WebService.invokeRunnable(WebService.java:172)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:348)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:451)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:294)
at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)

=============================================================

I removed the mask. I still get the error. If I remove the WHERE statement then it works. Pulling all the information from the database. All I want is for the query to look at my news database go to the BeginDate and EndDate fields and determine if it is within the time range for the time which it is to be presented. I want it to check and say today is 7/27/2005, is there any news item which needs to be presented today? I hope that helps. If it's not clear please let me know. I really appreciate your help! You dont know how frustrated I am with this.

I see it appears to be an issue with the data type in the database. What field type is beginDate and EndDate? I did something very similar with another application, and ran into issue with ACCESS dates and ColdFusion DateFormat... attempting to recall what I did or locate the code.

I see it appears to be an issue with the data type in the database. What field type is beginDate and EndDate? I did something very similar with another application, and ran into issue with ACCESS dates and ColdFusion DateFormat... attempting to recall what I did or locate the code.

Try USING #CreateODBCDate(Now())# instead of DateFormat.

my field type for beginDate and endDate are in Date/Time format. I have the format set to General. I tried the #CreateODBCDate(Now())# didnt work.

Okay...

Question... why is the end date significant are you attempting to syndicate.

IF StartDte and EndDte are both #CreateODBCDate(NOW())# Then it seems like the ENDDte is not necessary.

Try just

WHERE BeginDate = #DateFormat(Now())#

OR WHERE BeginDate = #CreateODBCDate(Now())#

Just to see how access responds to the query.

Note that the single quotes are not around the DateField...

I remember having this issue some time ago, and it was something very small, that had to do with access.

Ok I used
WHERE BeginDate = #CreateODBCDate(Now())#
and the information came up. I was so excited. Then I started looking at it. The reason for the StopDate is... if the user wants the news story to last a certain number of days and on the last day to remove it from the page. :o

Okay... that's how I thought you were using it.
SO my thought would be that outlook is having issue with the >= & <=
I have performed queries like this in mysql but can't recall doing it in access. I attempted to test the code out with a mock database in access , and I couldn't get any records to show directly from the access query wizard.

I would say the next thing is to try the code with Begin date and the >= to see if that is infact the issue.

I'm currently not home at the moment. What if I put the EndDate >= .
Like so:

OR EndDate >= #CreateODBCDate(Now())#

I'm currently not home at the moment. What if I put the EndDate >= .
Like so:

OR EndDate >= #CreateODBCDate(Now())#

Honestly not sure... like i said, Access has some wierd little quirks with the way it reads SQL statements, in certain situations.

I would say... give it a shot... try any combination of things...sooner than later you gonna get it to work. You seem very close.

Torch7!!! Thank you so much for your help! I just got back and tested what I had from last time. IT WORKED!!! You've been a great help and support! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'm so excited!!!!

Great News!!!

Anytime... so glad I could help...

Actually you allowed me to shake some of the web's of my ColdFusion skills, I haven't programmed in CF in almost 1 1/2 years...although I really miss it.

Some of the Greatest CF Tools for me have been without a doubt, the ColdFusion Web Application Construction KIT...by Ben Forta.. (worth the price)

Macromedia live docs.

http://livedocs.macromedia.com (again worth the price **FREE**)

and This is also a great tutorial site.
http://www.easycfm.com

Thanks Torch7. I just thought about something else. How do I create an entire multi-paragraph item? I looked at the database and saw that the limit for text is 255 characters.
My example would be after the user selects the headline item and views the details of that headline which is less than 255 characters(no problem). Now lets say I want to elaborate on the story. I'm still thinking on this one.

Thanks Torch7. I just thought about something else. How do I create an entire multi-paragraph item? I looked at the database and saw that the limit for text is 255 characters.
My example would be after the user selects the headline item and views the details of that headline which is less than 255 characters(no problem). Now lets say I want to elaborate on the story. I'm still thinking on this one.

Make the database field... MEMO and not Text.

i had a similar kind of an issue with MS SQL Server which also supports only 255 characters for the text field.
i solved it by making the text field to varchar of teh desired length i wanted.

le me know if this works out....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.