Hi,

I wonder if anyone has tried to implement PHP with Javascript. I have the code here like this:

if($name=='Mary') 
{
    echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\">window.alert(\"Hi, Your Name is " . $name . "
\")</script>";
}  

For some reason, I don't get anything on the screen. Could I embed javascript in PHP at all? Thanks for your help.

Edited by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by ajwei810192
Featured Replies

I do a lot crazier stuff with PHP and JavaScript than that, so I know it works. I tried your code, and it worked. The only problem was a line break after the name variable. [code=php]if ($name == 'Mary') { echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\">window.alert(\"Hi, Your Name is " . $name . … Read More

I do a lot crazier stuff with PHP and JavaScript than that, so I know it works. I tried your code, and it worked. The only problem was a line break after the name variable.

if ($name == 'Mary') {
 echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\">window.alert(\"Hi, Your Name is " . $name . "\")</script>";
}

Edited by MVied: n/a

I do a lot crazier stuff with PHP and JavaScript than that, so I know it works. I tried your code, and it worked. The only problem was a line break after the name variable.

if ($name == 'Mary') {
 echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\">window.alert(\"Hi, Your Name is " . $name . "\")</script>";
}

Is there a browser or system issue? I even tried by doing document.write instead of window.open and even that did not work. I designed it on Linux Ubuntu and ran it on Firefox, which did not work. I only get a blank screen when I tried to do something like that.

Here is what is not working on my system but should be,

if(($start_time !="") && (($start_time < 6)|| ($start_time > 11))) {
   echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\">window.alert(\"Sorry, service is not available at " . $start_time . "\")</script>";
      }

However, without the javascript, it falls into the above if statement, it does print out the html and php below:

if(($start_time !="") && (($start_time < 6)|| ($start_time > 11))) {
    echo      

<p style="font-weight:bold">Sorry, service is not available at <span style="color:red"><?=$start_time?></span>.</p>
      <?
      }

What have I done wrong here?

Have you viewed the source to ensure that it's actually printing out the JavaScript? Also, is JavaScript disabled? (I have to ask. :P)

Try this

<?
if($name=='Mary')
{
?>
<script type="text/javascript">alert("Hi, Your Name is <?=$name?>");</script>
<?php }
?>

if you have not enabled short tag then use this code :

<?php
if($name=='Mary')
{
?>
<?php }
?>

if you have not enabled short tag then use this code :

<?php
if($name=='Mary')
{
?>
<?php }
?>

For some reason, this example works without the "window" in the code. In other words, alert works. and not window. alert. Strange, isn't it?

I've never actually used it as window.alert, but there must be a difference between that and just alert. Either way, I'd say just use alert.

<?php
if($name=='Mary')
{
?>
<script type="text/javascript">alert("Hi, Your Name is <?php echo $name;?>");</script>
<?php 
} 
?>
<?php
if($name=='Mary')
{
?>
<script type="text/javascript">alert("Hi, Your Name is <?php echo $name;?>");</script>
<?php 
} 
?>
<?php
if($name=='Mary')
{
?>
<?php 
} 
?>

Thanks, this is a great answer. I would go a little further and do

<?php
if($name=='Mary')
{
?>
<script type="text/javascript">alert("Hi, Your Name is <?=$name;?>");</script>
<?php 
} 
?>
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.