I'm very new to using asp.net and am trying to run my company's website with IIS - I know that it's set up properly because our other projects work fine on our local host. The problem I'm getting is with the web.config file. The project was outsourced and we no longer have contact with the person who wrote the asp side. I get the following error trying to view the website:

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'configuration'

Source Error:

Line 28: />
Line 29:
Line 30: <configuration>
Line 31: <system.web>
Line 32: <customErrors mode="Off"/>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\CM_site\web.config Line: 30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas? It runs fine on the FTP server, but not the IIS.
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Here's a little something I found online, I have no idea if it will help, but here goes:

Symptom:
After copying or installing a .NET web-application the following error is observed in the browser when trying to view the site:

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately

Cause
This error is generated because the default set of configuration values in web.config require IIS to treat the web site as an application but this has not been configured.

Remedy:
1. Run Internet Services Manager (under Control Panel > Administrative Tools)
2. Find the project in the list of projects. (Open up your computer in the list and look under "Default Web Site").
3. Bring up its properties (Right click > Properties).
4. If the "application name" (under "Application Settings" on the "Directory" tab) is greyed out then click '[Create]' and then '[OK]'.

I really hope this does something for ya! Good luck!

i have the same problem... but that doesnt work... so do u have any other solutions?

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'

Source Error:

Line 10: <configuration>
Line 11: <appSettings/>
Line 12: <connectionStrings>
Line 13:
Line 14: <connectionStrings/>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\WA_Test\web.config Line: 12

OK first of all the custom Errors problem. IIS doesnt like the /> closing tag. You have to use <customErrors mode="Off"></customErrors> that will work

Second problem was the closing tag of connection strings... it should be </connectionStrings> not <connectionStrings/> as you had it... easy mistake - always pays to double check your xml :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.