Hello,
Im an intern at a company.I've been asked to test different open source PHP-based help desk softwares and submit a report on a free alternative to a commercial solution. The report should compare at leaste two popular such softwares(according to me). How do i test such a software and see it working considering i dont have my own website(working from localhost)? I need to receive email to a free online account.
Sorry, if this is the wrong sub-forum,didnt know exactly where this fits...
Ankit

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Yes, you can setup a server on your own machine and test the applications you are interested in, personally I like bugzilla because it has a good development community, but it is based on perl not on php. In order to receive mails from the bug system you should setup a mail server like sendmail. Bye.

Yes, you can setup a server on your own machine and test the applications you are interested in, personally I like bugzilla because it has a good development community, but it is based on perl not on php. In order to receive mails from the bug system you should setup a mail server like sendmail. Bye.

Very brief reply but thanks anyway for telling me about sendmail. I did a review on HESK and it seems to be amazingly simple to use. Will recommend IBM to try this.

For software recommendations on the support ticket issue, take a look at SiT (Situation Incident Tracker). PHP and MySQL based with email capabilities, a knowledgebase and customer portal. The setup takes some work but once your get it updated it is pretty cool. Has SLA's, multi site, Contract and support levels, Skill levels for techs, Products and a lot more.

For software recommendations on the support ticket issue, take a look at SiT (Situation Incident Tracker). PHP and MySQL based with email capabilities, a knowledgebase and customer portal. The setup takes some work but once your get it updated it is pretty cool. Has SLA's, multi site, Contract and support levels, Skill levels for techs, Products and a lot more.

Thanks but Trellis Desk , Hesk and osTicket are pretty much the easiest to setup and most complete free ones from around 9 of them which i tested.I already wrote the report and will be emailing it in to my boss soon.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.