Hello,

I am trying to find how to use custom tags in html and render data based on their use. A good example is the joomla <jm:whatever> tag. I found the following article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc301515.aspx

I think it might be outdated though because the behavior:url element does not seem to work. Plus, when I check the style sheet on a joomla site, it doesnt seem to use this method. I think these tags might be xml but I do not know how to render them based on the tag. For example:

<customAbbrv:display src="test.html" label="Test" />

I would want this tag to fire test.html and pass the attribute label which is set to Test. Can anyone point me to some good tutorials about this?

Thanks.

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Roebuc

Hello Taywin,

Thanks for the reply. In these cases, they are not using Java.

However, I think I found a solution but I am not sure if it is the most optimized or best practices. Kind of difficult for find reading on this that is supported as a standard.

Basically, I have used Code Igniter and return the source of the html (not the view but a stand alone html) as a string. I set up a parser controller that goes through and, with regular expressions, switch out the custom tag for the appropriate code.

I would love to hear how anyone else has decided to do this, right or wrong, and if anyone ever comes across articles or journals, please post links. I will do the same. Once I know better as to what I am doing, I will post some code examples but obviously, an SME would much appreciated.

Thanks!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.