I am driving an html site from my network drive in my office that can be viewd on LAN. I need to put a blog kind of section on my site so people who visite this site can leave there comments on it and all can see thses comments. Can someone help me with this please?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I don't think this forum would suite what you need. What database management software are you using? What web frame work are you using? It is not all about web page but there are other hardware & architecture involved...

I am not that good with html. I created few html pages and jot them together using frame rule. So it looks like a website. Let me put it this way. I need to have this blog thing on a webpage. You can say that I am running a webpage from a computer. When i say that I am running it from my network drive I ment a space on a server allocated to all the users in our office. I did it form my Network drive so this page remains online all the times within our LAN. In simple way I want to have somthign simmilar to this page I am using to communicate to you. Thanx :)

Well, you still need a database management software installed in your drive in order to save all the data (blog comment). There are things about security that you need to deal with in order to enable others to write into your local drive (even though it is what you call network drive). Also, a web page normally does not allow access to local storage (except IE using ActiveX object which is not a standard), so it is somewhat impossible to create a real blog without database. If it is your local drive and works as a network drive, you should be able to install a free database management software (such as MySQL, Postgres, sqlLite, hypersonic, etc), a server, and a web framework (depends on what technology you prefer). Then you could start working on it. I am not sure you are ready for it yet because it would be a lot of preparation if you do not know about it at all.

Thanks for your help with this Taywin. I guess I need to study a lot to get into this :P For now I will keep myself limited to html webpages however I look forward to establish a database to start blog thingi :) If you don't mind, can you please send me your email address so I could send some screenshorts to clear few things on my network drive as I guess I will not be able to install database management software. Its a network drive where a small space has been alocated for a user. When I login with my User(Lan)ID. I see it in my Computer with other drives. But as this is an online drive so I could access all my stuff from any station I sit, i published my site from this drive so it becomes online 24 hrs. If you could give me your email address, i would like to send you some screen shorts to get better understanding on it. I guess if you send me a message, it can only be viewed by me. So please send me you email address via a message. Or let me do that from my end. I am sending you my email address via a message. please reply back to that. Thanks a million again.

commented: good start +0

Thanx for your time Leon however I need to have this manualy established in my site. What Taywin said is correct. I need to work on installing database management software. But what you suggested is a good one. i will use it for other purpose. Thnx mate :D

A spammer recently bumped this thread and I started typing out a reply before I realized that it was someone who just copied/pasted an earlier post (which I'm going to delete just as soon as I finish typing this). I already had stuff typed out, so for anyone who still comes across this thread nowadays seeking the same help, I would recommend that you download WordPress and install it on your home server. WordPress powers a great majority of the web, and nearly every blog and content-based site. It's free to download and install yourself. It just costs money if you want them to host it for you on their servers.

You will need to install a PHP web server on your server as well as a database such as MySQL to power dynamic content (such as blogs, forums, etc.), beyond just static HTML pages that never change.

Good luck future bloggers!

I absolutely loved reading your blog! Your articles are well-written and enjoyable, definitely a great read. I bookmarked your page so I can come back and read more lately. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more amazing content from you!

Certainly! To add a blog-like section to your HTML site where visitors can leave comments and view them, you will need to incorporate some form of server-side processing and a database to store the comments. Here's a general outline of the steps you can follow:

1. Choose a server-side language: Select a server-side language that you are comfortable with, such as PHP or Node.js, to handle the form submission and database interactions.

2. Set up a database: Create a database to store the comments. Popular options include MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQLite. Make sure you have the necessary permissions to create and interact with databases on your network drive.

3. Create a form: Design an HTML form that allows visitors to submit their comments. Include fields for the commenter's name, email (optional), and the comment itself.

4. Process form submissions: In your server-side code, handle the form submission by extracting the submitted data and storing it in the database. You may need to sanitize the input to prevent any potential security issues.

5. Display comments: Retrieve the comments from the database and display them on the webpage. You can use server-side scripting to fetch the comments and dynamically generate the HTML content.

6. Implement pagination and sorting (optional): If you anticipate a large number of comments, consider implementing pagination and sorting options to improve the user experience.

7. Add security measures: Implement measures such as input validation, captcha, and user authentication to prevent spam or misuse of the comment section.

8. Test and deploy: Test your implementation thoroughly to ensure that the comment section functions as expected. Deploy your website on your local network drive so that it is accessible on the LAN.

Remember to regularly maintain and backup your database to ensure data integrity and security.

Please note that this is a high-level overview, and the implementation details may vary depending on the specific technologies and tools you choose to use. If you are not familiar with server-side programming or database interactions, it may be beneficial to seek assistance from a web developer who can guide you through the process.

To add a "Leave a comment" section to your HTML website:

1. Create the HTML structure with a form including fields for name, email, and comment.

2. Optionally, apply CSS to style the comment section to match your website's design.

3. Optionally, use JavaScript to handle form submission and processing of comments, like sending them to a server or displaying them on the page.

4. If needed, set up server-side code (e.g., PHP, Node.js) to handle form submissions and store comments securely.

5. Optionally, display existing comments below the form or load them dynamically.

Remember to consider privacy regulations and anti-spam measures when implementing this feature.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.