Hello all

what i am really trying to do is to use POST method to send info to next page with just HYPERLINK; Here is what i want:

Get method:

<a href="http://www.someting.com?date=9/15/05&age=21">age and time</a>

I want this to be in POST method without using forms.
also i am making this in php so is there a way to do this on click instead of using fourms because i really dont want to use those boxs with submit in them to submit the info.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I think you have some confusion about a normal url, a get form and and post form

a url such as index.php?page=whatever simulates the results of this get form

<form action='index.php' method='get'>
<input type='text' name='page' value='whatever' />
<input type='submit'>
</form>

If the method was post you wouldn't see the variables on the page (exception in the exception where the action is 'index.php?page=whatever' but that's not recommended).

The intention of post forms is twofold

1. to allow large amounts of data to be submitted, exceeding the 256 char limit on a url
  2. to prevent the user from saving the form data as a bookmark and running again later. This is appropriate in a great many cases

If you can help us to understand the problem you are trying to resolve we may be able to help you. Is this your site you are working with, or are you trying to submit to another site from your site?

Sarah

ok mainly what i want to do is to use the POST method without using forms only because i dont what the HTML button box there:

<input type='text' name='page' value='whatever' />

I just want to use a plain link or an image instead that input box.
I can use forms but i just dont want to use the input boxes to submit info.

I guess you could create a form that uses POST and has no visible elements (use hidden inputs). A hyperlink could then use javascript to submit the form. It's not extremely compatible with older browsers, but it could work if you absolutely had to have it work that way.

Here's an example from Chris' suggestion

<html>
	<head>
		<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
		<title>Submit Form example from sarahk.pcpropertymanager.com/blog/submit-form-using-javascript/192/</title>
		<script>function submitMe()
{
alert('In submitMe()');
document.submitForm.submit();
return;
}
	</script>
	</head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff">
		<form name="submitForm" action="selfsubmit.html" method="post">
			<input type="hidden" value="page" name="whatever"> 
			 <a href="javascript:document.submitForm.submit()">submit direct</a><br>
			 <a href="javascript:submitMe()">submit via a function</a><br>
		     <input type="image" src="https://scgi.ebay.com/saw/pics/sitewide/processBar1_16x16.gif">
		</form>
	</body>
</html>

So, in fact you DO want to POST a FORM, you just don't want an "ugly button". Right? Then either style the button using CSS, or code almost any other HTML element, such as a hyperlink, to fire the form's "submit()" method.

(You might have had more answers, sooner, if you'd posted in the HTML/JavaScript forum rather than PHP.)

Can any one give me a good example of the submit() as the one above have a lot of stuff in it an comfusing.

It's very simple. If you have a single form on the page, then this hyperlink would submit it:

<a href="#" onclick="document.forms[0].submit();">Submit form</a>

There are a couple of variations. I prefer to refer to all HTML elements via their ID property. So if you give your form an ID, like:

<form id="myForm" method="post" action="myFormProcessor.php">

then your hyperlink could be:

<a href="#" onclick="document.getElementById('myForm').submit();">Submit form</a>

Lastly, if you don't like having that href, you can also code it:

<a href="javascript:document.forms[0].submit();">Submit form</a>

i hope u are looking for this script.
<a href=details.php?id=<?echo $id?>&city=<?echo $city?>&state=<?echo $state?>>click here</a>
u will go to details.php and get all the i nformation of that particular id.
and without using forms and submit button u will go to details .php
i have used state city ext u change the variables.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.