Hi all,

Michelle here.

I want to know, objectively, LOL yeh right, who thinks Pearl is better than PHP & why & if it's just as easy to find a Pearl Programmer than a PHP programmer.

This is for DB applications.

Pls. only respond to this thread if you know PHP & Pearl really well.

Thanks & have a great night :)

Michelle

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

That is very subjective question. I know both php and perl well(not pearl, that is something you give your gf). Perl can become very messy very quickly and can become quite unreadable. But on the other hand, it is very very powerful. And allows you to do some powerful coding in a very short coding segments. Furthermore, it has been around for a lot longer that PHP. I believe that you are talking about a couple of things when you mention the perl in a web context. You are talking about mod_perl which is an embedded perl interpreter that is a module that loaded into apache at run-time. And db.pm for the database access and cgi.pm for the web end of it.

-HTH,
Tino

PHP is much faster than slow as heck Perl. Perl must run in /cgi-bin/ folder I believe.

PHP has much, MUCH better integration with the other free, open source database, MySQL.

PHP + MySQL are like buddies - when you think of one, you immediately think of the other.

Also, with the new release of PHP 5 - what is there to NOT like? :D

Thanks guys.

The reason I was asking, is b/c a potential programmer I might be doing biz with stated right off the bat he wanted to use Perl (sorry for the mispell) instead of PHP & I wanted to check what others thought.

He is a very devoted programmer who takes his time to do it right.

Would it be safe to assume that most Perl programmes are like that?

Thanks

Michelle :)

PHP is much faster than slow as heck Perl. Perl must run in /cgi-bin/ folder I believe.

PHP has much, MUCH better integration with the other free, open source database, MySQL.

PHP + MySQL are like buddies - when you think of one, you immediately think of the other.

Also, with the new release of PHP 5 - what is there to NOT like? :D

Would it be safe to assume that most Perl programmes are like that?

Why would you say that? Programmers who program in different languages are sometimes more careful and sometimes not, and same with devoted programmers, etc.

I don't see where you getting at with that question, it's very confusing as there really isn't much basis to put that statement on :confused:

Sorry for the delay.

I was just wondering what other people thought & if Perl is harder to do than PHP, then I was just guessing that one has to be more intracit (sp?), but I understand your POV that everyone is different.

Thanks

Michelle

Why would you say that? Programmers who program in different languages are sometimes more careful and sometimes not, and same with devoted programmers, etc.

I don't see where you getting at with that question, it's very confusing as there really isn't much basis to put that statement on :confused:

That isn't totally true, you can install Perl in the same was as PHP on most web-server aplications (you can also do it the other way as well). If you install Perl the same was a PHP it is just as fast. Saying that most of the software you can download on the web wont work if you install it that way and require a CGI Bin.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.