Hello, I want to ask..

I have a website which is fine to be opened using any other browsers except IE7.
In IE7, some of the functions do not work well.
I tried using IE8 and it worked fine.

Anybody knows the solution?

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

"functions"? Is this Javascript not working?

If you meant "functionality" because parts of the page don't display correctly - welcome to web development.

IE7/8/9, Firefox, Chrome, Opera all have different rendering engines (or versions thereof) so they don't all display the same code the same way.

My approach is generally to make a standards compliant page - run it through the W3C's validators. If your page doesn't validate, each browser could be rendering the page in who knows how many ways. Once your page validates, check again. If it still looks weird, start playing around with CSS & do lots of Google searching until you figure out why.

Member Avatar for diafol

Also ensure that your DTD is correct, otherwise IE will go to quirksmode - then you have all sorts of rubbish.

BTW, this is a php forum. I would be very surprised if the problem lies with php. It could be your DTD or more likely your CSS. JS can be different, but using a framework like jQuery usually solves these issues.

Hi,
U can use this .It will force the IE8 to show in IE7....
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
or
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE7" />

ie specific codes, once you discover what the fault is, "Some of the functions do not work well" is very difficult to debug

<!--[if IE 7]>
<link href="ie7.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<script type='text/javscript' src='ie7.js'></script>
<div> special text</div>
<![endif]-->

along with
<!--[if lt IE 5]> ie < 5 <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8]> ie 8<![endif]-->
<!--[if gte IE 8]> ie > 8 <![endif]-->

IE in quirks mode AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.