(
    [0] =>     
    [1] =>   
)

Otherwise if the keyword was not in the file, it was:

Array
(
)

Any suggestions on how do I fix this and why this is so?

Regards.

John

Recommended Answers

2 things:
You may have to give the full path for grep which you can find by running
which grep
from a shell prompt and second what happens when you run the command from the command line?

Jump to Post

Are you sure that it can find the txt file (did you try a full path for that too) ? PHP's current path can be different than the one on your console.

Jump to Post

All 6 Replies

2 things:
which grep
from a shell prompt and second what happens when you run the command from the command line?

2 things:
which grep

full path didn't help

pasting it into command line, it functions normally and outputs the 2 lines (as mentioned in my orig post)

Any other suggestions?

Are you sure that it can find the txt file (did you try a full path for that too) ? PHP's current path can be different than the one on your console.

Yep, fill path for both the grep command and the text file.

Also have a look at the preg functions of PHP which might be much easier to handle than the external grep.

Also have a look at the preg functions of PHP which might be much easier to handle than the external grep.

The thing is, I'm searching a 1GB file and I fear that the preg is significantly slower than the grep external function. :<

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.