I'm new to javascript and need to know how to store variables in cookies so that I can later use them later in php code.

Here is the basic javascript I want to use:

function alertSize() {
  var myWidth = 0, myHeight = 0;
  if( typeof( window.innerWidth ) == 'number' ) {
    //Non-IE
    myWidth = window.innerWidth;
    myHeight = window.innerHeight;
  } else if( document.documentElement && ( document.documentElement.clientWidth || document.documentElement.clientHeight ) ) {
    //IE 6+ in 'standards compliant mode'
    myWidth = document.documentElement.clientWidth;
    myHeight = document.documentElement.clientHeight;
  } else if( document.body && ( document.body.clientWidth || document.body.clientHeight ) ) {
    //IE 4 compatible
    myWidth = document.body.clientWidth;
    myHeight = document.body.clientHeight;
  }
  window.alert( 'Width = ' + myWidth );
  window.alert( 'Height = ' + myHeight );
}

Now, I want to save myWidth and myHeight in a cookie(s) but I don't know how to. The window.alert() will only be for testing purposes and will not be needed in the final code. I also need to know if the codes need to be in certain sections such as <head>, etc. Do I need to change any lines of code or need to add anything.

Thanks in advance fo your help.

Recommended Answers

If you want to send out data as GET

just append '?width=xxx&height=xxx' to href and retrieve using $GET

Jump to Post

website.com/page.php?id=&width=[javascript variable]&height=[javascript variable]

this is right - set up window.location to the above

in page.php u can retireve the variable as $_GET['id'] etc . about getting php variables as js variables its easy , just google if you dont get it …

Jump to Post

All 7 Replies

?

If you want to send out data as GET

just append '?width=xxx&height=xxx' to href and retrieve using $GET

So can I use it something like this: ?width=myWidth&height=myHeight
so that I can place variables in it? Or do I have to concatenate the value somehow, and if so, how do you do that in javascript?

Also, on another page I need to append a php variable to the href so does it work to mix and match the php & javascript variables? That is why I was thinking I would need to use cookies, but maybe it would work like this?

This is sort of how my href would look like:
website.com/page.php?id=&width=[javascript variable]&height=[javascript variable].

I'm guessing it would work to echo javascript codes to the client's computer so maybe this would work. I don't think I have ever done that before.[php variable]&width=[javascript variable]&height=[javascript variable].

I'm guessing it would work to echo javascript codes to the client's computer so maybe this would work. I don't think I have ever done that before.

website.com/page.php?id=&width=[javascript variable]&height=[javascript variable]

in page.php u can retireve the variable as $_GET['id'] etc . about getting php variables as js variables its easy , just google if you dont get it :)[php variable]&width=[javascript variable]&height=[javascript variable]

in page.php u can retireve the variable as $_GET etc . about getting php variables as js variables its easy , just google if you dont get it :)

I am wondering how to get the variables to the href though. If I send the javascript command page.php?width=myWidth, when I get to the other page will width then equal "myWidth" or will it equal the VALUE of myWidth.

I'm not wanting to get php variables as javascript, I am wanting the opposite. I know that isn't possible directly so that is why I am trying to work around it.

These javascript variable will either be read from the href into php or from cookies. I'm quite familiar with requesting php variables from the href, I also know how to post php variables to the href, now all I need to figure out is to post the javascript variables to the href and then possible the php/javascript variables to the href. I haven't had much luck searching for this information in a way that I can understand it but I guess I will keep trying.

page.php?width=200px -- its common thing it would have just missed you while commonly browsing thats all

now $_GET -> 200px

But the width/height won't be a known number such as 200px. My original javascript function gives me the current size of my browser and I want that variable (whatever it happens to be at the time) to be sent to the href (or cookie, whatever). So it is the variable, NOT a known 200px that I want sent. If it was a standard number that I knew I wouldn't need any of this other stuff including sending the value in an href.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.