Hello all. Forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section!

Here is my setup: WAMP server - Dreamweaver CS5

I am designing an Intranet solution for a client which I had previously described in my Introductory post several weeks ago.

Here is one of the situations that I am facing so far.

I have created two adjacent form fields. One is a drop-down type that contains company names, and the other contains the associated four digit company code. Have created a MySQL table called source, with source_no and source_name

eg. Acme inc. - 5DFF

When user chooses the company name from drop down list -> compay code populates. Note: Have dynamically linked this drop down menu to database table and can see a complete list of company names.
If user manually enters four digit company code into form text field -> drop down list populates with matching company name.
I have spent days researching ways of doing this. I did come across several javascript "autocomplete" widgets, but was wondering if there was a way to pull this off without going that route. This is exactly how it is being down in their current Microsoft Access solution, and would prefer to keep this feature available to them. Thank you and my apologies for the long-winded post. Peter

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

This can be done easily with a onchange event pass the possible selects as display: none and let JavaScript decide witch one to show.

Thank you for the prompt reply jkon. With all due respect, I have no idea how to implement an "onchange event".

This can be done easily with a onchange event pass the possible selects as display: none and let JavaScript decide witch one to show.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.