Please correct my syntax:

im including a file with the following constants

define('IPADDRESS', 	$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']			);
define('BROWSER',		@$HTTP_USER_AGENT				);
define('REFERER',		@$HTTP_REFERER					);

if i echo IPADDRESS; i get the ip address (127.0.2) so the include is fine.

My mysql instruction is as follows:

$update = mysql_query("UPDATE login_errors SET tries = '$addtry' WHERE ip_address = 'IPADDRESS' ") or die(mysql_error());

The above inserts the value IPADDRESS into the database!

I have also tried the following but no success:

$update = mysql_query("UPDATE login_errors SET tries = '$addtry' WHERE ip_address =". IPADDRESS. ")" or die(mysql_error());

What have i done wrong? first time im using constants in mysql_query.

I also have the following questions if you have time,

1. ive seen syntax like "something::something", i cant find anything for "::" under php operators

2. the function session_set_save_handler(), does it store in a database on the server or on the clients machine? as this always seems to be an advised solution if cookies are disabled on the clients machine

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The first attempt doesn't work because if it WOULD work, you could never write the word IPADDRESS in a string without having it replaced by it's definition.
What might work but of which I'm not sure is using {IPADDRESS} instead of just IPADDRESS.

And in the second attempt you didn't get the quotes at the end right.

$update = mysql_query("UPDATE login_errors SET tries = '$addtry' WHERE ip_address = '".IPADDRESS."' ") or die(mysql_error());

1. The :: means that you're accessing the member function of a class definition without an initialized class (so this is not definied)

2. I've never seen session_set_save_handler before but from what I just read it appears that it enables you to define your own way of saving a user's session data, so you could save it in a database but not on the client's machine.

I dont understand what you mean by:
you could never write the word IPADDRESS in a string without having it replaced by it's definition.

I tried {curly braces} and it did not work

You were right regarding the syntax of the second query and it worked, but only after changing IPADDRESS to IPAD, so i guess the word IPADDRESS cannot be used for some reason!

Thanks for the help!!!
I am marking this thread as solved but if you can give me some pointers as to what just happened regarding IPADDRESS, please PM me, thanks again

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.