Hi in my project page I gave managed to make a gridview editable but
when I changed the cell values and press save button,
at server side code I am getting all the cell values empty? Why?
How to access it?

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" AutoGenerateColumns="False"
                        BackColor="White" BorderColor="#CCCCCC" BorderStyle="None" BorderWidth="1px"
                        CellPadding="3" DataKeyNames="quotationid" DataSourceID="PubsDataSource">
                        <FooterStyle BackColor="White" ForeColor="#000066" />
                        <Columns>
                        <asp:BoundField DataField="quotationid" HeaderText="quotationid" InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True"
                        SortExpression="quotationid" />
                        <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="project_number" SortExpression="project_number">
                        <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("narration") %>'
                        OnTextChanged="TextBox_TextChanged" BorderStyle="None"></asp:TextBox>
                        <asp:HiddenField ID="HiddenField1" runat="server" Value='<%# Eval("quotationid") %>' />
                        </ItemTemplate>
                        </asp:TemplateField>
                        <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="description" SortExpression="description">
                        <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox2" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("kindattention") %>'
                        </ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="manager" SortExpression="manager">
                        <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox3" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("enquiryno") %>'
                        </ItemTemplate>
                        </Columns>
                        <RowStyle ForeColor="#000066" />
                        <SelectedRowStyle BackColor="#669999" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" />
                        <PagerStyle BackColor="White" ForeColor="#000066" HorizontalAlign="Left" />
                        <HeaderStyle BackColor="#006699" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" />
                </asp:GridView>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="PubsDataSource" runat="server" 
                SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [quotation]"
                UpdateCommand="UPDATE [quotation] set Narration='Changed Narration' where quotationid = @quotationid"
                ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:Pubs %>"  />

Or my whole approach is wrong?

Edited by Nitin Daphale: n/a

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Nitin Daphale

Hi in my project page I gave managed to make a gridview editable but
when I changed the cell values and press save button,
at server side code I am getting all the cell values empty? Why?
How to access it?

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" AutoGenerateColumns="False"
                        BackColor="White" BorderColor="#CCCCCC" BorderStyle="None" BorderWidth="1px"
                        CellPadding="3" DataKeyNames="quotationid" DataSourceID="PubsDataSource">
                        <FooterStyle BackColor="White" ForeColor="#000066" />
                        <Columns>
                        <asp:BoundField DataField="quotationid" HeaderText="quotationid" InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True"
                        SortExpression="quotationid" />
                        <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="project_number" SortExpression="project_number">
                        <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("narration") %>'
                        <asp:HiddenField ID="HiddenField1" runat="server" Value='<%# Eval("quotationid") %>' />
                        </ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="description" SortExpression="description">
                        <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox2" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("kindattention") %>'
                        </ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="manager" SortExpression="manager">
                        <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox3" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("enquiryno") %>'
                        </ItemTemplate>
                        </Columns>
                        <RowStyle ForeColor="#000066" />
                        <SelectedRowStyle BackColor="#669999" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" />
                        <PagerStyle BackColor="White" ForeColor="#000066" HorizontalAlign="Left" />
                        <HeaderStyle BackColor="#006699" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" />
                </asp:GridView>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="PubsDataSource" runat="server" 
                SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [quotation]"
                UpdateCommand="UPDATE [quotation] set Narration='Changed Narration' where quotationid = @quotationid"
                ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:Pubs %>"  />

Or my whole approach is wrong?

I got it, how to access cell value.

string s = ((TextBox)GridView1.Rows[4].Cells[3].Controls[1]).Text;

Now I want to detect that which cell(RowNo-ColumnNo) has been changed
so that I can update database correspondingly.
In my server side code I have textchanged event of TextBox included in Grid,
which occurs that no times equal to no cell text changed. And that all events
occurs before save button click event.

Hi you have to include datakeyname="your primary value in the gridview" then only you can find correct index of the row to update..For more Check out this link
[removed]

Edited by Ezzaral: n/a

Hi you have to include datakeyname="your primary value in the gridview" then only you can find correct index of the row to update..For more Check out this link
Grid view

I have included datakeyname and able to access cell values.

I just want to figure out row-column index that value has been changed.
I have textchanged event(server side), if 3 cells have been changed then it occurs 3 times and then after save button click event occurs. Now in that event I am not able to figure out that for which gridrowcell the event occured.

protected void TextBox_TextChanged(object sender,EventArgs e)
    {
          // For which cell containing Textbox I have come here?
    }

I have included datakeyname and able to access cell values.

I just want to figure out row-column index that value has been changed.
I have textchanged event(server side), if 3 cells have been changed then it occurs 3 times and then after save button click event occurs. Now in that event I am not able to figure out that for which gridrowcell the event occured.

{
          // For which cell containing Textbox I have come here?
    }
    {
        GridViewRow row = (GridViewRow) ((Control)sender).NamingContainer ;

((CheckBox)GridView1.Rows[row.RowIndex].Cells[4].Controls[1]).Checked = true;
    }

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.