Hey everyone I just started using a new hosting service called 1and1 all the normal pages are going fine that use the simple html extension. However one of my php pages that uses the session_start() and header() functions isnt working correctly and I get an error. Now I know an error usually occurs if you have the session_start() below any html code. However I made sure to keep my session_start() and most of my php code above the html. I even tried moving all of it above the html. However I still get the error. Here is my code in its current state: (all areas that have sensitive have been censored of course)

<? 
session_start();

//attempts to connect to DB if it cannot, produces error message 
     if( !($conn= @mysql_connect("******","*****","****")))
           {  
             die("Connection Failed");
           }
   //attempts to select DB if it cannot, produces error message
     if(!mysql_select_db("*****",$conn))
          {
             die("Selection Error");
          }

//pulls information from the user form 
             $user = $_REQUEST['user'];
             $pass = $_REQUEST['pass'];

//encrypts password 

$pass= md5($pass);        
         //creates the query that will check if the user is actually in the database
             $userQ = "SELECT uname FROM `users` WHERE uname = '$user' AND pass = '$pass'";

?>
       <?php
              //checks to see if the information supplied by the user matches a name in the database. If not kicks the user to the blamnation page
              if(mysql_num_rows(mysql_query($userQ,$conn)))
                 {
                     //creates an array for the page
                     $userInfo = array();
                     //takes the variables from the session and puts them into an array
                     $userInfo['name'] = $user;
                     $userInfo['pass'] = $pass;

//creates an array that will fill the array created  above with the data from the databse
                     $fillQ= mysql_query("SELECT uID,xlive,steam,psn,bio,avatar,email FROM users WHERE uname = '$user' AND pass = '$pass'",$conn); 

//fills in the userInfo array with all info on user from database
               while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($fillQ))
                       {
                         $userInfo['id'] = $row['uID'];
                         $userInfo['picture'] = $row['avatar'];
                         $userInfo['email'] = $row['email'];
                         $userInfo['xlive']= $row['xlive'];
                         $userInfo['psn']= $row['psn'];
                         $userInfo['steam']=$row['steam'];
                         $userInfo['bio'] = $row['bio'];
                       }   

//confirmation text that is displayed to the user if the login is successful   
            $_SESSION['userInfo'] = $userInfo;  
              echo"<div style='width:400px; background-color:#3A3636; margin-left:380px; height:150px;'>";
       echo"<address style='background-color:orange; color:white; font-family:Impact; font-size:25pt;'>Welcome Back!</address>";
       echo"<center>";

echo "<br> <span style='color:white; font-family:calibri; font-size:12pt;'>Congrats <b>$user</b> you are now logged in </span> <br>";
            echo " <a style='font-family:calibri; font-size:12pt; color:red;' href='blam.php'>Go to Homepage </a> <br>'"; 
            echo " <a style='font-family:calibri; font-size:12pt; color:red;'href='profile.php?profile=$user'>Go To Your Profile </a> <br>";
            echo "<a style='font-family:calibri; font-size:12pt; color:red;' href='pedit.php'> Edit Your Profile</a>";

echo" </center>";

echo"</div>";

}

else
         {
           header('location:blamnation.php');
         }

?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<!-- Script that runs to log the user in --> 
 <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" />
    <title>Login</title>
 </head>

<body>

<br/>
  <!-- creates a box that holds the login confirmation text --> 

</body>

</html>

any help guys would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Edited by soapyillusion: n/a

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by soapyillusion

It would help if you'd also post the error but a first suggestion would be to use <?php as starting tag instead of your <? on line 1.

oh that was an error while pasting my code... I have that normally.. not sure if that even work at all without It. I know there use to be some variations allowed on the php tag.. but I thought the rest where considered obsolete.... Yea still need help on the other part though :/

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/13/d375219296/htdocs/blam/login1.php:28)

Thats the error I get more stuff with the header which makes no sense over the simple fact the header is placed before any html code...

Are you perhaps including this file in another file?

What's on line 28 of /blam/login1.php?

Something I encountered a few days ago: Is your file perhaps saved as UTF-8 with BOM?

There are no includes, and I do have user checks on every page...And No I'm using dreamweaver to build my code and by default BOM is unchecked. But I do always use UTF-8 character encoding... should I have it turned on?

Edited by soapyillusion: n/a

1.If you are getting error like "Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /path/file.php:1)" it means you've got some output before your header() call or starting a session. *No* output can be sent. that includes whitespace (outside of <?php and ?>) and any (X)HTML. You can also use output buffering

try placing this at the top of your page:
<? ob_start(); ?>

then at the bottom of the page place this line of code:

<? ob_flush(); ?>

Edited by IIM: n/a

Kudos on the awesome avatar lol XD.
I finally figured it out guys, the stupid server had some very important setting turned on if the php.ini file. Stuff they didn't want me to find or change... but I got my ways arround it ;-). I don't recommend this 1&1 to anyone. I'm stuck for a year.... though.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.