Hi...new here. Found this site while searching for an answer. While a novice mainly, I am as good as it gets for my workplace, a not-for-profit in central Indiana.

Anyway, a few eeks ago I stumbled across a code snippet that could be inserted in email that, when opened, the email would display a hosted web page, as opposed to inserting an entire coded page into the email message.

Of course I lost the snippet and two days of searching again have been futile. If anyone can help I would be very appreciative.

--Scott

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hmm... never seen anything like that, sorry. It would require an email client that ran JavaScript.

What I have seen and used is a web application that generated an image, dynamically, on the fly. In your email, you set the src of an image to that application, with parameters. That way you can track that the email was opened, plus generate an image unique to that individual.

Welcome to Daniweb!

I agree, some sort of SSI, or server-side JS.
The problem with that is you cant gaurantee it would work with the targeted audience. Only supported email progs would render it properly.
Alot of people even use plain-text only, in order to help thwart getting an encoded virus in their HTML as well.
I would say, not knowing what your use might be, you could lose 50%-75% of your audience.

Could you possibly use an iframe with the site as the src? I don't know if the email viewer will render an iframe correctly though.

iframe src="websiteurl"
/iframe

of course you would want to set the dimensions.

Just a though.

Could you possibly use an iframe with the site as the src? I don't know if the email viewer will render an iframe correctly though.

iframe src="websiteurl"
/iframe

of course you would want to set the dimensions.

Just a though.

Yes, that could work with some clients, but I would make sure the format is expandable, because the email client may over-ride anything you put in for dimensions.

I would seriously try several methods and see what works the best for your tastes. Compare results over several free web-based email systems like Yahoo and Gmail, and outlook Express etc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.