Member Avatar for tobeeornot

Hi,
New to wordpress and php so please bear with me.

I am using WAMP as a testing server and Dreamweaver CS5 as a text-editor to manipulate the theme files.

I have successfully set up a live local connection between WAMP, WP and DW and can view
the live index.php file from the wp-admin folder after using the 'discover' the dynamic files on dreamweaver.

My problem is that if I select the index.php files in the themes folder, I get the following error message and the link is broken:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_header in C:\WAMP\www\wordpress\wp-content\themes\twentyeleven\index.php on line 1

Is this because the activated theme is already being displayed dynamically in the wp-admin folder, and I am causing a conflict by going directly to the themes to edit the files?

Would be grateful for some feedback.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi,

My problem is that if I select the index.php files in the themes folder, I get the following error message and the link is broken:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_header in C:\WAMP\www\wordpress\wp-content\themes\twentyeleven\index.php on line 1

You don't want to access that file directly. Rather, WordPress' index.php in the main site root, adjacent to wp-config.php (looks like wordpress\index.php in your configuration) is what you want to access. WordPress, 'the engine' will read the C:\WAMP\www\wordpress\wp-content\themes\twentyeleven\index.php on your behalf.

Developers using WordPress should isolate your changes to your currently selected theme folder and/or just to your wp-content folder. Everything else is considered 'core' files that should never be altered.

Member Avatar for tobeeornot

Well done Steveorevo. I did work it out a a day later but you are indeed right.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.