When a person logs into my site i need to check a value in a database for their roleid, and dependent on that i need to allow/deny access to a page.

I have this code but it says that the $_SESION variable 'Access' is undefined, i cant see why?

$email = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email']);
            $password = md5(mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['password']));

$checklogin = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM person WHERE email = '" . $email . "' AND password2 = '" . $password . "'");

if (mysql_num_rows($checklogin) == 1) {
                $row = mysql_fetch_array($checklogin);
                $roleid = $row['roleid'];

$_SESSION['Email'] = $email;
                $_SESSION['LoggedIn'] = 1;
                $_SESSION['Access'] = $roleid;

echo "<h1>Success</h1>";
                echo "<p>We are now redirecting you to the member area.</p>";
                echo "<meta http-equiv='refresh' content='2;index.php' />";
            } 

else {
                echo "<h1>Error</h1>";
                echo "<p>Sorry, your account could not be found. Please <a href=\"index.php\">click here to try again</a>.</p>";
            }

This is where the undefined index error occurs:

if (!empty($_SESSION['LoggedIn']) && !empty($_SESSION['Email']) && $_SESSION['Access'] == '3')

To note--
I have used session_start() in my base.php which is included at the top of this file.

EDIT***
I have even tried just setting it to 3 but it says undefined still?

Edited by gunnerone: n/a

Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Zagga

do a var_dump on the session variable, if it returns NULL that means it's undefined.

I know you said that you have session_start() declared above. also make sure that session_start() is declared everywhere else where $_SESSION is useds

ex: File1.php

session_start();
$_SESSION['foo'] = 'bar';

File2.php

session_start();
echo $_SESSION['foo']; //outputs: bar

I think the variable is definitively undefined, but why? shouldn't it be set with the above code?

Are the other $_SESSION variables defined?
If not, you are probable missing a session_start() somwhere or your query is invalid.

Try putting something else then $_SESSION like $_SESSION.
Maybe Access isn't allowed by PHP

Are you sure $roleid is being pulled from the database correctly? Try echoing it before you set it as the session variable to check.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.