HI,
i want to know what is server scripting ,and how does php relates to server scripting.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

PHP is a server side scripting language for the web. It's a web development language, because it is used to create dynamic websites for the web (such as DaniWeb). It is a scripting language as opposed to a compiled language.

Personally, I'm not entirely sure of the differences between a scripting language and an interpreted language so I don't want to give you false information.

HI,
i want to know what is server scripting ,and how does php relates to server scripting.

csgal is correct, but based on your question, I'm thinking you may need an even higher-level answer? If not, just ignore this post! ;)

When you browse the web, you do so with browser software running on your computer---that is the "client". When your browser displays web pages, it gets that content from a computer on the Internet--that computer is the "server". Thus we talk about the "client/server" architecture.

Programmers who create web pages can choose to write code that will either be processed by the server--before the page is sent to you (the client), or the programmer can choose to write code that will run on the client's computer after the page arrives.

By far, the most popular client-side scripting language is javascript. A programmer may choose to use javascript to produce a dynamic (DHTML) effect on the page. For example, perhaps a mouse-over effect that causes an image to change as you pass the mouse over it.

There are many popular server-side programming languages--PHP being one of them. PHP is the server-side language used to create the Daniweb page you are reading right now.

Are you familiar with HTML? Have you ever written a web page using HTML? If so, you understand that an HTML page is a static source--that is, once you create it, that is always what gets served to the client. A PHP script, on the other hand, uses programming logic to dynamically generate--on the fly at request time--an HTML page according to the client request. The code may connect to a database and query data to use in building the page. It may query third-party services such as RSS news feeds, etc. In the end, the script produces HTML that is sent to the user's browser.

I hope this helps you. Thank you for using Daniweb. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.