Hi,

I have a problem finding a textbox control which is within panel and this panel is within datalist control. I would like to get textbox.text property and I tried several ways but I always get empty string "" although textbox contain some text in it. My code is below:

aspx page

<asp:DataList ID="dlDataList" runat="server" onitemcommand="dlDataList_ItemCommand">

<ItemTemplate>
           <asp:Panel ID="pnlReply" runat="server" Visible="False">
             <asp:TextBox ID="txtTextBox" runat="server"</asp:TextBox><br />
             <asp:LinkButton ID="lnkbtnSend" CommandName="Send" runat="server">Send</asp:LinkButton>
           </asp:Panel><br />

<asp:LinkButton ID="OpenPanel" CommandName="OpenPanel" runat="server">Open panel</asp:LinkButton>

</ItemTemplate>
</asp:DataList>

aspx.cs page

protected void dlDataList_ItemCommand(object source, DataListCommandEventArgs e)
{

if (e.CommandName == "OpenPanel")
        {
            Panel pnlReply = (Panel)e.Item.FindControl("pnlReply");
            pnlReply.Visible = true;
        }

if (e.CommandName == "Send")
        {
          TextBox txtTextBox = (TextBox)e.item.FindControl("txtTextBox");

//I tried this way also..
          //TextBox txtTextBox = (TextBox)e.item.FindControl("pnlReady").FindControl("txtTextBox");

string str = txtTextBox.Text;
        }
}

Does anyone knows the way to get text property of Textbox control?

Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You are using the corrent property to get the text but your control is malformed. You have:

<asp:TextBox ID="txtTextBox" runat="server"</asp:TextBox><br />

which should be:

<asp:TextBox ID="txtTextBox" runat="server"></asp:TextBox><br />

commented: good job catching that syntax +6

Are u binding the Datalist in page load ? If yes then put your binding code in Not IsPostback condition.
Or it can be EnableViewState problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.