This question could probably be posted in several areas, but what I am writing is a google maps application and I'm also pulling feeds, so I'm choosing this as the main category to post this question in.

Basically, I've pulled a feed from NOAA which gives me weather alerts. I would like to plot these areas on google maps, however, the geolocation coordinates they supply are 6 digit numbers which took me a few hours to find out what it is. It's a FIPS code - the first digit is the county subdivision, the first three digits are the state, and the last 3 digits are the county itself.

I am trying to turn this FIPS code into latitude/longitude coordinates or a zip code or an address or anything. I can geocode virtually anything except a FIPS code. I've found some very limited documentation and functionality on converting something to a FIPS code, but not vice-versa, which is what I am looking to do.

I thought about just creating a large file or a table in a db that would store the county name/state/whatever with its respective FIPS code for lookup, but after realizing that there are probably at least 100,000 of these codes - it's really not a practical solution.

Is there any lookup service out there from something stable/trustworthy that I can use to convert a FIPS code into something I can geocode, or is there some other programmatic way this can be accomplished?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

There are database available (paid) that contain US Zip codes with FIPS and lat/long data. I've not yet seen a free one that provides this. If you google "fips latitude longitude" you'll find several packages.

Pritaeas -- Thank you for your reply.

We are looking into these packages now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.