Can anyone tell me some new trends in php.

Member Avatar for diafol

I don't think the language has changed very much over the last few years, but maybe there's more of a push to develop OOP rather than procedural code. DateTime, SPL etc.

There's been an explosion of frameworks, like CodeIgniter, CakePHP, Symfony ... this list goes on ad infinitum, which use MVC to larger or lesser extents.

One of the biggest things though IMO, is the forthcoming demise of mysql_* functions. So, if you're creating new stuff or updating old code, using or replacing with mysqli_* or PDO is strongly advised.

Also with the huge advances in javascript and html5, I think your php scripts also need to have bear techniques like ajax in mind.

So while php hasn't really changed that much (recently), if you're a one-man band or a hobbyist like myself, I think there's a far greater push to learn other technologies to augment the experience. We all seem to expect 'no page refresh' on form submission these days :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.