Member Avatar for jdavenport

Greetings,

I am trying to upgrade an existing system from CF 8 to CF 10. I have a
datasource that connects to a Unidata database. The datasource connects on the
CF 8 server using driver class com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDriver and driver uniJDBC.
I set the datasource up on CF 10 the same way it is set up on CF 8. I copied
over the unijdbc.jar and asjava.zip files from
/opt/coldfusion8/wwwroot/WEB-INF/classes on the old server and put them in
/opt/coldfusion10/cfusion/wwwroot/WEB-INF/classes on the new server. I updated
the Coldfusion Class Path to

/opt/coldfusion10/cfusion/wwwroot/WEB-INF/classes/unijdbc.jar,/opt/col
dfusion10/cfusion/wwwroot/WEB-INF/classes/asjava.zip,"%CLASSPATH%"

on the Java & JVM settings page in the CF 10 Administrator and restarted
coldfusion before I tried adding the datasource. When I try to verify the
datasource I get this error:

Connection verification failed for data source: colleague

java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDatabaseMetaData.getJDBCMajorVersion()I

The root cause was that: java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDatabaseMetaData.getJDBCMajorVersion()I

The database I am connecting to has not changed, it is still the same version and
in the same location. What exactly does this error mean? Would I need updated
versions of the unijdbc.jar and asjava.zip files to go with CF 10, even though
the database has not changed?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Julie

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Depends on what else the stack trace says. All we can tell from that is that something goes wrong when checking your jvm version. What's the rest of the trace? Check the logs if needed.

Here is the entry in /opt/coldfusion10/cfusion/logs/exception.log, hoping this means something to someone? thanks!

"Error","ajp-bio-8012-exec-30","07/15/13","10:21:46",,""
java.lang.AbstractMethodError
        at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.JRunConnection.<init>(JRunConnection.java:133)
        at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCPool.create(JDBCPool.java:555)
        at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCPool._checkOut(JDBCPool.java:472)
        at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCPool.checkOut(JDBCPool.java:378)
        at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCPool.requestConnection(JDBCPool.java:825)
        at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCManager.requestConnection(JDBCManager.java:125)
        at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.JRunDataSource.getConnection(JRunDataSource.java:135)
        at coldfusion.sql.CFDataSource.getConnection(CFDataSource.java:42)
        at coldfusion.sql.Executive.verifyDatasource(Executive.java:492)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at coldfusion.runtime.StructBean.invoke(StructBean.java:508)
        at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:2465)
        at cfudflibrary2ecfm1867463752$funcVERIFYDSN.runFunction(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administr
ator\datasources\udflibrary.cfm:14)
        at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:472)
        at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:368)
        at coldfusion.filter.FunctionAccessFilter.invoke(FunctionAccessFilter.java:55)
        at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.runFilterChain(UDFMethod.java:321)
        at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:518)
        at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invokeUDF(CfJspPage.java:2624)
        at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor12(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index
.cfm:450)
        at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor17(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index
.cfm:396)
        at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor18(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index
.cfm:168)
        at cfindex2ecfm782328217.runPage(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.c
fm:1)
        at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:244)
        at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:444)
        at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65)
        at coldfusion.filter.IpFilter.invoke(IpFilter.java:64)
        at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:443)
        at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:48)
        at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
        at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:112)
        at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:94)
        at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
        at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
        at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46)
        at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
        at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
        at coldfusion.filter.CachingFilter.invoke(CachingFilter.java:62)
        at coldfusion.filter.RequestThrottleFilter.invoke(RequestThrottleFilter.java:151)
        at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:204)
        at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
        at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42)
        at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
        at coldfusion.filter.ClickjackingProtectionFilter.doFilter(ClickjackingProtectionFilter.java:75)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:224)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:169)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:168)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:98)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:928)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:414)
        at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpProcessor.process(AjpProcessor.java:203)
        at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:539)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:298)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCPool.requestConnection(JDBCPool.java:825)
    at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCManager.requestConnection(JDBCManager.java:125)
    at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.JRunDataSource.getConnection(JRunDataSource.java:135)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at cfudflibrary2ecfm1867463752$funcVERIFYDSN.runFunction(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\udflibrary.cfm:14)
    at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:368)
    at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor12(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.cfm:450)
    at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor17(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.cfm:396)
    at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor18(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.cfm:168)
    at cfindex2ecfm782328217.runPage(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.cfm:1)
    at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
    at coldfusion.filter.RequestThrottleFilter.invoke(RequestThrottleFilter.java:151)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
    at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42)
    at coldfusion.filter.ClickjackingProtectionFilter.doFilter(ClickjackingProtectionFilter.java:75)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:224)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:169)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:168)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
    at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:539)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:298)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)

coldfusion.sql.Executive.verifyDatasource

Unfortunately, I don't think the trace telsl us anything new. Just that a problem occurred while trying to verify the dsn .. which you already knew.

Is the driver jar public? If yes, can you point me to the api/download link? I'll give it a try. Maybe I can gleen a little more info.

I don't think the trace telsl us anything new

Arrgh.. that should be "I don't think the trace tells us anything new".

Still thinking I needed a newer driver, so I went to ROCKET software's site and downloaded their free window's client for connecting to latest version of unidata database (7.2 or 7.3). They told me was more current and would work with my new java version (1.7_25), but it did not work. Same type of error (see below). This is the link http://www.rocketsoftware.com/products/rocket-u2-clients-and-dbtools/try-now if you want to try it, if you have a unidata database to test it on. I could not find a client for Linux on their site, only a client for Windows, so they told me to install the windows client on a windows machine, then pick out the driver files I need (unijdbc.jar and asjava.zip) and place them on my Linux machine, and they would work. (Our unidata database resides on an AIX server and my coldfusion is running as the client on a Redhat Linux server trying to access that unidata database.) I did what they suggested, placed the files, double checked the class path, and restarted CF, and the datasource still will not verify. Got what looks to me like the same error and log entries (see below). I am wondering about the location of the driver files:
1) /opt/coldfusion10/cfusion/wwwroot/WEB-INF/classes
or 2) /opt/coldfusion10/cfusion/runtime/lib
Using CF 8, we always had them in location 1, but someone on adobe forum told me to try them in location 2. I've tried both and neither work. Does it really matter, as long as where you have the files matches what it says in the CLASSPATH on the Java/JVM page inside the ColdFusion Adminstrator?

thanks Arghh!!

here's the error and log I get with the "new" driver files:

Connection verification failed for data source: colleague
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDatabaseMetaData.getJDBCMajorVersion()I
The root cause was that: java.lang.AbstractMethodError: com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDatabaseMetaData.getJDBCMajorVersion()I

"Error","ajp-bio-8012-exec-6","07/17/13","11:31:16",,"com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDatabaseMetaData.getJDBCMajorVersion()I"
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDatabaseMetaData.getJDBCMajorVersion()I
        at cfudflibrary2ecfm1867463752$funcVERIFYDSN.runFunction(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\udflibrary.cfm:14)
        at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor18(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.cfm:128)
        at cfindex2ecfm782328217.runPage(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.cfm:1)
"Error","ajp-bio-8012-exec-6","07/17/13","11:31:18",,"com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDatabaseMetaData.getJDBCMajorVersion()I"
        at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor12(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.cfm:450)
        at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor17(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.cfm:396)
        at cfindex2ecfm782328217._factor18(E:\cf10_final\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\datasources\index.cfm:168)

1) /opt/coldfusion10/cfusion/wwwroot/WEB-INF/classes or
2) /opt/coldfusion10/cfusion/runtime/lib
Using CF 8, we always had them in location 1, but someone on adobe forum told me to try them in location 2. I've tried both and neither work. Does it really matter, as long as where you have the files matches what it says in the CLASSPATH on the Java/JVM page inside the ColdFusion Adminstrator?

It can be placed anywhere really, as long it's in the CF CLASSPATH. All of these directories are in the default class path ie places CF automatically checks for jars

• .../runtime/lib
  • .../WEB-INF/classes
  • .../WEB-INF/lib

Though .../WEB-INF/classes is typically used for individual class files, not jars.

I don't have a unidata database, but I think I can download a trial version.

I'm wondering if this driver is really compatible your jvm. Like the name says getJDBCMajorVersion() is checking the jvm version: ie 1.5, 1.6, 1.7. The fact that error occurs there suggests maybe it does not like your jvm version. Have you tried it with jvm 1.6, just to see if there's any change ?

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I have tried all those locations for the classpath/driver files, and a few more... Everyone I ask has a different suggestion so I figured there were a number of places as long as your classpath matches.

As for the JVM compatibility... the Java level on the server holding the database is 1.6.0, and the ColdFusion 10 installed on my server says (on the settings summary page inside my ColdFusion Administrator) that its Java Version is 1.6.0_29. The driver files are supposed to be compatible with 1.6, but I have emailed Rocket back to double check on that. Not sure if that is what you mean by "trying it with JVM 1.6" (I know little/nothing about Java!).

Thanks much!

FYI, I heard back from the Rocket rep and he said the driver should work with any Java 1.4 or higher. He is using it with 1.7 and it works.

Sent the error message to the Rocket rep one more time and this time he told me he checked with the techs and there is a known issue with the jdbc unidata driver; it does not work with CF 10 and some other servers. would have been nice to know that 2 weeks ago! oh well... will be attempting an ODBC connection instead.

Sorry, I got tied up with work too.

would have been nice to know that 2 weeks ago!

Ugh.. hate when that happens. It is like wasting hours trying to get a simple API example to work, only to find out it doesn't work due to a typo in the documenation, lol. Well at least now there's a working option.

(BTW, tell them to save the next guy some headaches and put the incompatibilities in the documenation under "known issues").

Did you by any chance get your jdbc driver to work? I am currently trying to get it to work with ColdFusion 11 and am getting this error:

Connection verification failed for data source: uvjdbc
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: null
The root cause was that: java.lang.AbstractMethodError

I am using the same data source configuration that worked on CF9

JDBC URL jdbc:ibm-u2://[host]/[account];dmbstype=UniVerse;
Driver Class com.ibm.u2.jdbc.UniJDBCDriver

I am about to open a case with Rocket but I thought I would see if you made any progress.

Thanks in advance!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.