Whats the difference between Linux and windows hosting? Which Server is Best For Wordpress and custom PHP sites . I have Choosed goodady bcz its provide ssl, domain and hostin service in one place , kindly sejust me if another hosting provider best then godady

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

If you use PHP, then I'd suggest a LAMP setup - Linux/Apache. This is the standard - and although you can run PHP from Windows and Mac (localhost), I've never tried running PHP from hosted Windows server.

If you're just setting out with Wordpress, then a cheap server/hosting plan is what you need. GoDaddy, from what I've read will provide you with what you need at a very reasonable price. But just remember, you usually get what you pay for. As you start to outgrow the limitations of GoDaddy, look to pay more for better services.

For custom sites, be aware that some hosts still offer old versions of PHP and MySQL. You need a host that offers the most up-to-date stable versions.

Many hosts offer installed applications like WP, Drupal, phpBB etc. I suggest that you refrain from running these (can be out-of-date), and install your own clean copies from the 'vendors' themselves.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I would also say linux. Obviously, if you needed a dot net solution the advice would be different.

But with linux the setup is secure and stable, assuming you adhere to good practices of course.

It tends to be cheaper as well.

I would also tend to agree to go with a linux platform for PHP. There's no benefit here that I see why you would want to pay more for the Windows hosting soution, especially if this is going to be hosted on a shared infrastructure where you have no control over the server anyway.

Linux hosting with LAMP environment has worked well for me over the years. Fine if u need MySQL and php which is fine for Wordpress.. Not good if you want to utilise .net/ms SQL technology.
Also, in my experience, Linux hosting is usually cheaper.
Some hosting packages will have install scripts which make the Wordpress installation a little easier if you need an easier setup approach.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.