Hi,

I have a textarea counter which has a limit of 160 characters. What I want to do is when the checkbox is ticked the character limit would charge to 140 characters. I have the following code:

Html:

<input type="checkbox" name="change" value="1" />
<textarea name="sms_text" id="sms_text" rows="8" cols="60" onKeyDown="limitText(this.form.sms_text,this.form.countdown,160);" onKeyUp="limitText(this.form.sms_text,this.form.countdown,160);"></textarea>
<br />
<font size="1">(Maximum characters: 160)<br />
You have <input readonly type="text" name="countdown" size="3" value="160" /> characters left.</font>

Javascript:

function limitText(limitField, limitCount, limitNum) {
    if (limitField.value.length > limitNum) {
        limitField.value = limitField.value.substring(0, limitNum);
    } else {
        limitCount.value = limitNum - limitField.value.length;
    }
}

Is there any way I could do this? Can someone please help me? Thank you

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I have a textarea counter which has a limit of 160 characters. What I want to do is when the checkbox is ticked the character limit would charge to 140 characters. I have the following code:

@Annuscha

I never done that before. Change the limit of characters like that. I only implement the amount of characters that can be display but you are asking if it possible to display any amount of characters by checking a box?

In your code there should be a limited code that tells the javascript that the number of character is displayed.

The javascript code you provide is correct, it works.

You need to add few lines. What code have you add since?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.