Hello Community,
I was wondering if it is possible to use an ID ($_GET) after a file in the address bar so it would look like this
http://example.com/file.php/ID_HERE
Instead of
http://example.com/file.php?id=ID_HERE

I know there is a way of doing something like that but I'm only getting it to work on the index.php file using .htaccess
This is the .htaccess code I know works for the index.php file:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9]+)$ index.php?id=$1

But I'm not sure if there is a way to change that so it works on another file, it is in the same directory as the index.php file.

I've tried change to "RewriteBase /" to "RewriteBase /product.php" but it won't work.

So is there anyway to get this working?

Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by joshl_1995

I think you could add

RewriteRule ^product.php/([a-zA-Z0-9]+)$ product.php?id=$1

to get that working. Or you could use this:

RewriteEngine on

Options -Indexes

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule .* index.php [L]

to redirect everything to your index page, and then use $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] to parse the URI and load the appropriate files.

@minitauros I tried RewriteRule ^product.php/([a-zA-Z0-9]+)$ product.php?id=$1 and it didn't work and I'm not to fond of the second code. This is what I'm getting when I try it "No input file specified.".

@diafol I don't like the whole idea of every .html page being redirected to the id.

I've tried this and it has finally worked.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^product.php/([0-9]+)$ /littledevines/product.php?id=$1 [L]

So how do I get it so I don't have to have the .php extension? I've tried many way of doing this but they never seem to work.

I don't know if this will help but I'm hoasting with GoDaddy

Ok after a bit of Googling and looking back on what yous have posted I've put together this.

Options +FollowSymLinks -MultiViews
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /littledevines/
RewriteRule ^product/([0-9]+)$ product.php?id=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}.php -f
RewriteRule ^(.*?)/?$ $1.php [L]

And it is indeed doing what I wanted but no styling on the product page. So is there a way of moving around this with out direct linking the css and js files?

Edited by joshl_1995

You can make the css and js links absolute (with the http:// ...) or you can employ exceptions, e.g.

RewriteRule ^(js|css)($|/) - [L]

Dunno - I just took it out of an old project of mine -

Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(js|css|pages|locale)($|/) - [L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*)/([^/]*)/*$ /index.php?lang=$1&page=$2 [L]

How I'd shoehorn that to your needs I'm unsure. Anybody else?

I might just have to go with directly linking the files. I'll see how that goes.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.