Upon uploading my site files to a GoDaddy hosted website -- with a "coming soon" sort of maintenance page I'm assuming is generated by GD (headline "Future home of something quite cool") -- that's on a shared FTP account for which the root is a different domain and there are others under it (root site), but the root site has no htaccess file and the /www/ htaccess file is blank, for one thing; I know mine works, does on my localhost; and so from the root site folder '/', the subject site's path is 'www/site/', and subsite.com shows the placeholder welcome/coming soon page I mentioned (welcome.html) and 'subsite.com/www/site' shows my index.php I uploaded (the previous site was in /www/, so I uploaded to /www/site/). So 'subsite.com/www/site/about' is supposed to show my about.php, but instead returns a 404 error -- and not my 404 error doc specified in my htaccess file neither.

Here is my .htaccess in /subsite/www/site/:

Options +FollowSymlinks
Options -Multiviews

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE On
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^([^\.]+)$ $1.php [NC,L]

</IfModule>

ErrorDocument 404 /subsite/www/site/404.php

and here are the contents of the original file in my localhost version (which works just fine):

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^([^\.]+)$ $1.php [NC,L]

ErrorDocument 404 /subsite/site/404

in XAMPP, on Win 7 64-bit, so the root folder being /htdocs, and in /subsite/ there's stuff like notes and psd files.

I have no experience with GoDaddy but I've tried all solutions on this page http://davidwalsh.name/mod_rewrite-htaccess-godaddy including the comments up to that of "Luna"'s... to no avail (still hoping I might come across a successful solution in the rest of the comments). Anyone have any idea what I can do about this? Please? It would be so helpful not to have to work around this.

The RewriteRule and ErrorDocument both aren't working.

Thank you kindly.

Okay maybe the issue is as described here: http://gidden.net/tom/2006/05/26/4/ -- i.e., changes to htaccess file take time to take effect.

If that's the case what would any of you who have considerable experience with GoDaddy suspect to be the culprit in my .htaccess, given my aforementioned configuration?

Thanks much.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.