I've looked all over and ive not found a good answer, is there a way you can take your functions and make them in seprate files and call them to the class? it seems no one has tried this or i am ooking in the wrong place

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You want to put parts of a class in a separate file? Yes, that's possible (using include), but I don't recommend it (bad design). Better yet, give a code example explaining what part you want to move to a separate file.

_class.php

<?php 

class ModernCMS{

include'vars.php';
    include'functon_connect.php';

//Basic Functions For Getting Content From Database

function get_content($id = ''){

if($id != ""):
                    $idv = mysql_real_escape_string($id);
                    $sql = "SELECT * FROM cms_content WHERE id = '$id'";

$return = '<p><a href="index.php">Go Back To Content!</a></p>';
                else:
                    $sql = "SELECT * FROM cms_content ORDER BY id DESC";
                endif;

$res = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());

if (mysql_num_rows($res) != 0):         
                    while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($res)) {
                        echo '<h1><a href="index.php?id=' . $row['id'] . '">' . $row['title'] . '</a></h1>';
                        echo '<p>' . $row['body'] . '</p>';
                    }
                else:
                    echo '<p>Uh Oh! This dosen\'t exist!</p>';
                endif;

echo $return;
        }   

}// Ends Our Class

?>

Vars.php

var $host ;
        var $username ;
        var $password ;
        var $db ;

basicly im trying not to get a long file to find one thing that im lookinig for.

im trying not to get a long file

That shouldn't matter. The class has a purpose, and chopping it into pieces doesn't make it easier to maintain. Consider a book where every page is on a different shelve.

Member Avatar for diafol

Including files like this inside your classes can be a bit problematic, as if the file is moved, you then have to rewrite all your classes that include that file. Maybe a "better" way would be to create a DB class and pass that via dependency injection. Your class then doesn't have to worry about creating a connection, selecting as db, etc, it can just get on with the one job - i.e. in this case, returning specific data.

I'm assuming that your class will have more methods.

class ModernCMS{

private $db;

public function __construct($db)
    {
        $this->db = $db;
    }

public function getContent($id=NULL)
    {
        if($id && is_int($id))
        {
            $this->db->query("...");
            //etc
        }
    }
 }       

You can use $db object as if you'd just created it inside the class itself. It shouldn't matter where the db object comes from as long as it shares a common interface for methods like 'query', 'execute' or whatever you decide.
I suggest PDO as opposed to the defunct mysql_* functions. Just a thought.

Pretty much what is there is about it, might have a few of them duplicate or change them to look for arguments

Member Avatar for diafol

Pretty much what is there is about it, might have a few of them duplicate or change them to look for arguments

Sorry, but I don't understand.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.